How to set signature for create event node?

Hello, if I’m binding an event to a dispatcher call I can set input parameters for the call. If I’m binding a function to a set timer by event node, how can I set the signature? I can’t find this enywhere and so I can only create or select events without input paramers.

2 Likes

Signature, in this case, is telling you that the Delegate (the red pin) has no parameters.

You are given this information on the Create Event node so that you can more easily select a function.

You can test this yourself by creating a message dispatcher with a parameter, and using the create event node on a bind to action for said dispatcher.

That’s because the Set Timer’s delegate requires none:

It will happily register with the CustomEvent but not with the CustomEvent_0 as its signature (bool) is not matching that of the timer (none).

Were you to bind something that requires a signature, the member list will be generated correctly, and automatically:

Essentially, the system prevents you from accidently binding to something that makes little sense:

The Set Timer node has no clue what Overlapped Actor / Other Actors are.

1 Like

OK so in short, there is no way to pass parameters to delegate set by timer?

No. But perhaps we’re not approaching it right in the first place. What’s the end goal here - what kind of data do you need the timer to operate on?

You could have the timer call a custom dispatcher and pipe in what’s needed:

Hard to suggest something more tangible without knowing more.

1 Like

Thanks for the help, there are workarounds with events on the event graph like the one you showed but I was looking for a solution when I’m setting a timer within a function.

The bottom line is that we don’t know what it’s for, perhaps a neat solution exists. A wee bit too cryptic :wink: Function binding will work but the same (more, actually) rules apply:

The function signature must match that of a timer’s. This is universal across the engine. And the function must not return data for this to work. But you can always wire it like so:

AFAIK it’s not possible in Blueprints, but it is in C++

1 Like