How to set default project and marketplace path

I just got the subscription (!!!) and started downloading all the example projects only to find out that it was putting them on my C:/ drive which is now full.

Is there a way to set the default path for it to place them there, or do I have to move everything over manually after loading it to C?

You can’t adjust the path of the marketplace -> it will be always there where your unreal project folder is, but of course you can move the stuff to another disk

Epic games is currently searching for a solution how you can change that path -> take a look at the other threads about that topic

For projects it should be possible to change their path -> a window should appear when you create your new project

I installed it to D:/Program Files/Unreal Engine/, yet the marketplace stuff ends up in Documents/Unreal Projects/ on C.

Oh. Yep, it will move your stuff into the document folder, sorry for the mistake :slight_smile: -> but as I said, regarding to the threads that I read, it’s not possible at the moment to change that

Moved all the stuff where it belongs… awesome so far!

If you’re using Windows, you can do a folder redirection.

I’m not sure if we’re allowed to link to other web pages, here’s the page to Microsoft on how to do it.
://windows.microsoft/en-ca/windows/redirect-folder-new-location#1TC=windows-7

If running windows you can just use a symlink betwee locations. In a command prompt you can do

mklink /J “SOURCE” “DESTINATION”

so for me I used

mklink /J “c:\Users\Documents\Unreal Projects” “F:\UnrealEngine\Unreal Projects”

Make sure the source does not exist when you do this or you will error out so move the files out of the c:\ drive before you do the link

Check this answer here https://answers.unrealengine/questions/12987/directory-settings-for-ue4-launcher.html

Default Project Directory for the Launcher:

Edit the following file: %localappdata%/EpicGamesLauncher/Saved/Config/Windows/GameUserSettings.ini

Set: CreatedProjectPaths to path of your choice.

Default Project Directory for the Engine:

Edit the following file: %localappdata%/UnrealEngine/{UE_VERSION}/Saved/Config/Windows/EditorSettings.ini
Change {UE_VERSION} to match version you are using (4.23, 4.24, 4.25, etc.)

Set: CreatedProjectPaths to path of your choice.

4 Likes