How to send/receive arbitrary UDP messages from Unreal to some other device?

Hi,
I’ve been hunting for information and am having trouble, so I’m hoping someone can give me a few pointers or some tutorial code.

I have two real-world devices, a drone and an RC car, that you connect to by WiFi UDP and send arbitrary text commands to (ie: takeoff, land, forward, back…etc) and receive arbitrary strings of text back by UDP.

What I’d like to do is use Unreal on a PC to put up a user interface and read controls like joysticks, then send/receive text commands over UDP to the drone, preferably from blueprints.

I’m having trouble figuring out how to do this in unreal, so I guess I need some pointers from you all? I have seen a lot of mentions of TCP/UDP plugins in the release notes but when I try to search for them in the docs all I can find is the stuff about unreal multiplayer/replication which is not what I need.

Any pointers?

Theres this tutorial about UdpMessaging but i dont know if will work with the last version of the Engine.

Where is the tutorial?

Check out the UdpMessaging plugin. It was added to the engine in 4.25 I believe.

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/tree/release/Engine/Plugins/Messaging/UdpMessaging/Source/UdpMessaging

Note: You will have to have a GitHub account linked with your Epic Games account to view that link.

1 Like

Virtually zero documentation on that module. Didn’t even know it existed, been toiling with the Socket implementation myself got receiving working having trouble with sending. This should help after I spend a ton of hours digging through how they set it up.

Thanks for the link.