How to Self-Learn

So I have quite litterally so many things i want to learn(all which aid in the creation of games and programs), but each individual “Subject” has so much I need to learn I feel very intimidated by the amount to be learnt and thus once I start learning my lack of motivation and my own impatience will eventually step in and say “I can’t be bothered, there is too much to learn and I’m not learning this stuff fast enough”

So i ask those whom have pushed through and learned, How do I go about learning all the “Subjects”, how long on a estimate should i spend each day or week(whatever is better) on learning one subject at any given time.

The list of things i want to learn
C, C++, C#, Java, HTML, SQL, PHP, CSS, JavaScript, The languages to make Android and IOS apps(sadly i don’t know what the programming laguages are called), Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Piano, Bass Guitar, Audio Mixing, Audio Mastering, Audio Editing, Video Editing in Adobe Premiere Pro, Video Editing in Adobe After Effects, 3D Modeling, 3D Animation, 2D Animation, Digital Graphics, Image Editing in Adobe Photoshop Pro, Level Creation in Unreal Engine 4 and after, Level Editing in Unreal Engine 4 and after, Physics, Chemistry, Maths(The last three are moreso, tryna learn the subjects i was weakest in, anotherwords where i got 99% F grades, and yes, I know that is ALOT to learn, but I feel a compulsion to learn them all)

You can’t learn all of those and be good at all of them, figure out which you enjoy most and focus on that. If you decide you want to do a project, consider something that will make the most use of your strengths and won’t require high skill in an area you aren’t experienced with. Otherwise you’d need to find people that can do those things to join your project.

Thats difficult, i have always wanted to get into making Country Music, I have always wanted to learn Drum’s which i am learning with the help of a drum teacher, and i get better every week, I have always wanted to learn to play guitar both Acoustic, Electric and Bass, I have always wanted to learn how to edit, mix and master music, Video Editing in both Premire Pro and After Effects, technicly i have no interest in video editing per se, but I see video editing as a skill i can develop and add to a “Digital Resume/Portfolio”, I have lightly touched on 3D Modeling using Sketchup and 3D Animation using Mine-Imator, and i thought it would make sense to increase my knowledge of 3D Animation and Modeling so I could not only add that to my “Digital Resume/Portfolio” but I could further Make Animation using rigs i make, I loved Looney Tunes as a child and i thought developing some skills in Digital Graphics and 2D animation would be usefull in “potentially” making something of a Looney Tunes inspired Web Series if you will, Creating and Editing levels in UE4 I definately want to get a firm knowledge and understanding of, because one of my many favourite game company founders/ex-employees, John Romero from ID Software made the levels to Doom(1993) and i love his level design(i would quote other “levels” i love, but that will take forever) so i want to get some knowledge in how to make levels and edit them in UE4, plus who knows i may end up doing a 1:1 recreation of E1M1 but with better graphics(actual photo realistic graphics).

I forgot the programming languages which i wanted to get into doing when i was in school, but i ended up never learning any programming because school was just not getting better for me, stressful times.

C: Doom(1993) mods are written in C and i got an idea for a Doom(1993) mod.

C++: UE4 uses C++, and alot of programs are made in C++ so to me it makes alot of sense to learn C++.

C#: I have been reccomended that I skip C and C++ in favour of this programming language simply because its more up to date, while that may in fact be true, i am unaware of anything that uses C#, but i figured, i may as well learn it, who knows maybe my knowledge of C# may be useful someday, i dunno how tho.

Java: Only one reason for me wanting to learn this, To Update and Create Minecraft Mods and Plugins, that is the ONLY reason i want to learn Java.

HTML, SQL, JavaScript, CSS, I do wanna try to learn how to make websites and all these are generally helpfull in acomplishing said task, do i have interest in making websites, technicly no, but to me there things worth learning.

Being fair i don’t want to learn Maths, Chemistry or Physics, HOWEVER, Learning mathematics will not only help me in programming but all the numbers involved in day to day life, so Maths in my mind is a mandatory skill.

Chemistry and Physics is just so i can better understand them as my current understanding is almost non existent, plus in a game i desire to make physics and chemistry play a big role in the game both directly(what you can do in game)indirectly(how certain things work and dont work within Chemistry and Physics themselves, a simple example being how physical things get affected based on mass, speed, etc and how some elements and chemicals either work or don’t work based on various variables)

That was alot to type, and no doubt alot to read.

I have my reasons for wanting to learn what i want to, my issue/s is:

I don’t have the patience(Example: I start learning C, i devote to it a week, then the next week i look at my progress and think, I’m not where i want to be, I should know this like the back of my hand by now)

I lack motivation(Example: I start learning C, three days later i think to myself “I better learn some more C”, then i end up realising how much i still have to learn then i think “Maybe tomorrow”(you get the idea))

I get intimidated(Example: I look at how much i need to learn of C before i master it and think "That is so much to learn, I’ll never learn all that, let alone master it)

I got the desire and enthusiasm to learn them, but i lack everything else, also I’m not very good at multi-tasking because when i try to multi task eventually i end up focusing on the one thing, That’s why I came asking those whom have learned whatever it is to tell me how should i go about self learning, how much time to one particular subject per day should I devote, https://forums.unrealengine.com/member/11397-franktech has a really good strat which btw i agree with that strategy and i will certainly give it a try.

i would ask when will i see results but seeing results depends on the individual, some may see results in 1 month, others 1 year some may take their whole lives.

Google and youtube is your friend.
There are a ton of stuff for self learning.
Good luck.

1 Like

Ultimately, you’re not going to be able to do all that, it takes too much time to become reasonably good at one thing, you simply won’t be able to do that for many things.

The most important thing you can do is to develop the right personality to do all those things you want.

Surround yourself with people that can contribute to your personal development and always expand your network, this will keep your focus and discipline in a high level.

Read books and measure how much you can read: always search for recommendations from the authors. Spend a good amount of money on amazon.

Stop spending your time with bs’s if you have a longe-term plan to your life: learn to delegate tasks to people you trust and understand your situation

Follow sucessfull people: blogs, articles, projects.

Time is your most important resource: even more than money.

Or become a hermit and return 20 years later :slight_smile: