How to search/get component of an actor from a Blueprint Component Class that it is attached to

Heya

I trying to implement a blinking light feature. I have complete the logic and it is working.

Now, I am trying to create a blueprint component (not sure if scene or actor blueprint is correct/better) that allows me to use it for any light type by attaching it to a light currently placed in my level. Let’s call this new component BP_Component_BlinkingLight.

I am trying to get a reference to the light component of the actor that the BP_Component_BlinkingLight component is attached to. However, I am not sure how. I have tried GetParentComponent and GetChildrenComponent but both do not work.

The below screenshot is how I got a reference to the light component in my old ordinary Actor Blueprint with a Light component manually added inside. How do I modify the following it so that I can store a reference to the light component?

Any responses greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!!!

1 Like

Hi.

The node you want in the blueprint is actually “GetOwner” to get the owning actor of that component.

I have made a video for you on my YouTube channel :smile:

I hope that helps.

Cheers.

3Dev

1 Like

Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much!

1 Like