How to scale parent without scaling children (within a blueprint)?

Since an online search revealed that I wasn’t the only one having troubles with Unreal’s way of child-scaling, I thought let me just do it manually for my components. Yes, I did look this up online as well and came across this https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/169747/is-there-a-way-to-group-actors-for-hierarchical-ro.html , which is what I thought I wanted to do but it only seemed to work for child actors in a scene. What I want to do, instead, is to scale a parent MESH without affecting the child MESH within my Blueprint Class (more specifically, I’m working with the Wheeled Vehicle Class here, but I suppose that’s immaterial here).

Thanks,
Surya

Me too lol

Best way is not to attach the Child while you scale the Parent. Once you’ve finished with the Parent, then you can reattach the Child.

Of course… that only works if you’re not trying to scale ‘live’. Off the top of my head, you could scale the Parent and have a separate Scale node for the child so it works in the inverse direction. That may essentially negate the effect.

I read through this and in my project I have the same problem and am inflating the scale live while another actor is attached. After reading your post Valkyrie… I realized that everytime you have the scale of the parent rise (on a looping timer in my case) you just also set the scale of the child to 1,1,1 so it never changes. No need to do anything in the inverse direction.

Thank you guys. This helped a lot

You can see here that every time the timer loops it checks if there is a valid actor inside the inflating bubble. If there isn’t, it just scales the Bubble up and inflates it. But if there is an actor inside the bubble, it will run a sequence where it scales the bubble up but also resets scale of child actor to 1.

I know this is old but maybe this will help people in the future too.

Try to set the Absolute Scale in children.
Then their scale will not depend on the parent components.

7 Likes

I’ll check that out! If that works for me of course that would be better, thank you.

Nailed it.