how to prevent disappearance of my player character when I possess a pawn with the FPS template ?

Hello,

(Sorry if my English is not perfect, I am French.)

I am currently working on an FPS project for my studies where I want to create a reconnaissance drone (like Crypto in Apex Legends), and for that I decided to use the “Possess” function, but when I use it in the FPS template, my player character disappears even though I need it to remain visible.

(I re-did my code in a TPS template and didn’t have the problem.)

So I was wondering if anyone knows a solution because I can’t find anything online.

hi @Spira_Walk

Are you sure it dissapeared? FPS as the name states is First Person Shooter

When you possess you wont see your character as you are looking throught their eyes as it were. Though if set up correctly you should see arms maybe.

If you want to see the whole character you need 3rd person.

If im totally wrong please forgive me and let me know / show me some screen shots so we can help more!

Hi,

Yes, I am sure that my player character has disappeared because I gave him a complete model, and when I try to tell him to make the capsule component and its children visible when he’s unpossess, only one element reappears, which shows that it is there but it is invisible.

(On the screen I use the cam of the pawn)

(My Player Character)

Characters dont dissapear when you possess them per se unless you actually do so. can you show me the blueprint that contains the possess code?

The Drone Spawn point is the sphere in the previous screen.
(He’s in my player character blueprint)

I may be wrong but i dont see a camera in your FPS character.

What i suggest is add in the default unreal first person character, make a copy of it and rename it, place your mesh inside instead of the arms (dont delete the camera) and see how that works.

The camera is located in the head of the mesh and it is already the Character Blueprint provided with the Unreal Engine FPS template that I modified.

ok fine thats good. so what about placing a second copy of your drone in the scene. then create a key press to switch between them and test they are working and visible.

Make sure they are next to each other on the map :smirk:

I can take the controle of the drone but the player character continue to disseapered.

I don’t know if it’s normal but the drone can’t see the player character in the viewport.

I find the solution, the mesh of the player Character had Only Owner can see activated.
I lose 6 hours for that, I want to die. :smiling_face_with_tear:

Thank you for your help @High500. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like