Download

How to pose Root Bone from Blender 2.8 to UE4

Given As you can see in the image, I believe I correctly named my objects - namely, ‘root’. When I export the armature from Blender 2.8 to UE4, the bone hierarchy in the skeleton looks fine too. It matches the default UE4 mannequin as far as the root, pelvis bones, etc.

Issue As you can see in the .gif, the root bone does not move with the rest of the skeleton. I’ve been stuck on this for quite some time now. Would really appreciate help

Blender 2.8 Skeleton (NOT mixamo skeleton)

Blender 2.8 Export Configuration

UE4 Skeleton Import
ue4-skeleton.png

Root motion problem. Notice that the root bone does not move as the rest of the skeleton jumps forward
root-issue-sm.jpg

See origin post for gif: https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/199024/how-to-pose-root-bone-from-blender-2-8-to-ue4

I’m no Blender expert so there may be a better way than how I do it. I do the key frames for root motion in object mode on the armature object, doesnt seem to work setting key frames for the root bone in the graph editor for me. Unreal just seems to ignore the root bone key frames from the blender graph editor, not sure why or if theres a setting somewhere.

In blender the root bone is the armature object. So to animate it you move it around and keyframe it. Outside of pose mode.

Ah, I see. I mean I did try something of the sort in a desperate attempt, but it probably didn’t work the first time since my bones weren’t correct. Tried it again with bones in this post and it worked.
Thank you!

Solution

1. Root Bone of Blender 2.8

](filedata/fetch?id=1823796&d=1603150870)
2. Moving the “root” bone. Make sure to click Mesh then SHIFT + CLICK Armature (root) to move the root bone and to add keyframe.
](filedata/fetch?id=1823797&d=1603157337)
3. The red line which denotes that the root bone is moving
](filedata/fetch?id=1823798&d=1603150870)