How to play gun montage

hey guys
so I’ve created a gun montage (a reloading animation with magazine coming out and in), I was wondering to as of how I would run the gun montage with the character montage?

I’ve been desperately searching for answers on this please help!

Anyone?
At least lead me to links ?

Is the Play Montage node not working for you?

Edit: Oh wait. I think I see what you mean. You want to sync the animation with your character’s animation? Yeah, that’s a bit tougher than just playing the montages together. You’ll probably want to use some IK setup on the characters’ hands to hook his hand to the gun mesh at a specific socket, but honestly I’ve never done it, so that’s about all I can give you. There’s got to be some tutorial or something out there though.

Hello!
Thank you for your comment, fortunately I’ve achieved syncing the character to hold weapons and interact with them on the character skeleton, however I want to also work with the guns skeleton, for example when shooting, the sleeve should open and release a spawned bullet case (or a reload animation). The problem is that I do not know how to activate a gun animation (with its skeleton).

Might you have a clue? I was considering making an animation blueprints but have no idea if it’ll even work.

Thank you once again!

If you’re using a skeletal mesh for your gun then it should be as simple as playing a montage using it as the target. Are you stuck on which nodes to use, or how to access the gun to trigger the montage?

Hi,
I am using a skeletal mesh, “how to access gun to trigger the montage” is one point and another would be triggering montages allocated to the gun.

Thank you for your reply!

Alright, marc. So are you attaching the skeletal mesh gun to your characters’ blueprint or is your character picking up the gun at a later time or something? If it’s already attached it’s extremely easy to play the montage off of it. You just drag it from the component list into the graph, drag off that reference node and type “Play Montage” like in the image I posted.

If you’re attaching it to the player later then whenever you actually interact with the gun or attach it you should create a variable of the gun’s object so you can reference it instead of a component.

If this is over your head you might want to take a look at this video by the Unreal team themselves: Blueprint Communications | Live Training | Unreal Engine - YouTube I realize it’s very long but it really breaks down how to communicate between blueprints using references, etc. And it’s a great way to get started in Unreal.

Good luck!

Hello thank you for your answer, will get back to you in a couple of days and see how I go with the references, that’s technically the answer I’m looking for.

Thanks!

Hi, I got back working on it recently, watched the video and it guided me to fix my issue. I was using a child bp variable instead of parent bp variable after all.
Thanks!