How to permanently change the pivot of a static mesh?

@SouthBot
@HitEmUp

When dragging in new Static Meshes, if you want to have a permanent saved Pivot, a workaround can be to create a Blueprint from the Object in the Scene.

-Follow the same steps as described above for an object of your Blueprint Type inside the editor.
-Once finished, check the details panel and copy the Pivot offset (can find by searching for “pivot” in the details panel).

Insert the Pivot offset inside of the Blueprint you just created.

Now instead of dragging new Static Meshes into the scene, drag blueprints into the scene.

This obviously is just a workaround, but seems to work alright.

I necroed this question because it’s the most popular one from search page and nobody actually answered correctly.

To permanently change pivot of Static Mesh you have to reimport the mesh with compensating transform (you may want to export first to create .fbx).

To find this transform, create a blueprint using your static mesh, set arrow as root scene component, move mesh as if arrow it’s pivot. Right click on location to copy parameters.

Enjoy!

Nicely formatted and written answer.

“(you may want to export first to create .fbx)”
Is it possible to export a mesh from UE4? It seems to be a common case the people don’t actually have the exported mesh files, but rather only have the actual SM in UE4.

Yes, you can export your meshes from editor.

253338-2018-09-11-16-04-21.png

You cannot set pivot offset inside blueprint that I can find.

That’s not changing the pivot of the static mesh, that’s just translating it in a blueprint. Yes, in UE4 it might get the desired result, but you still can’t export the .fbx with the new pivot, which is exactly what I need.

To permanently set the pivot just buy the pivot tool on the market place, it has saved me countless hours if work.

To permanently set the pivot just buy the pivot tool on the market place, it has saved me countless hours if work.

I suppose you didn’t read well my friend. At the end you get static mesh asset with pivot placed right. Please make sure you read all steps before downvoting.

And if you want to change pivot in fbx why even asking people/searching on UE4 resource, lol.

It worked. Thanks!

This is the answer I was looking for! Fantastic! +1 y’all !!!

Instead of spending money, you can just do this:

1. In any level, position your mesh so the level origin (@ coordinates 0,0,0) is wherever you want your mesh’s pivot to be
  2. right-click the mesh, select option “Merge Actors” in the context menu
  3. in the new Merge window that appears, ensure that your mesh is the only (ticked) item in the list at the top (untick any others if accidentally selected)
  4. Tick option "Pivot Point at Zero"
  5. Press Button “Merge Actors”, select subdir (e.g., Meshes), provide a new name, press “Save”, exit first window
  6. Discard your original mesh, and drag the new one into your level; the latter has its pivot where you positioned it (permanently)
4 Likes

That is a good one rtvrk, I forgot that you could do that! I still love the tool you buy because it has offset and also you can put the pivot point anywhere you want and also saves the rotation. It is a must have tool. It has saved me soooooo much time.

That is a good one rtvrk, I forgot that you could do that! I still love the tool you buy because it has offset and also you can put the pivot point anywhere you want and also saves the rotation. It is a must have tool. It has saved me soooooo much time.

Fair enough, but the “Merge-Single-Mesh” method likewise saves the mesh’s current rotation and scale, and the pivot can be anywhere (including far outside the physical mesh); the only difference is that instead of manipulating the pivot directly, you’d move the mesh relative to the level origin to achieve the exact same end result.

The easiest solution is one folks may not have thought of:

1. Make a new actor.
  2. Add the mesh you want as the only component.
  3. Keep the default scene component.
  4. Move the mesh in the actor to where you want the pivot to be.
  5. Put it in the world.
  6. Right click in the World Outliner tab.
  7. Hit convert actor to static mesh.
  8. List item

Bam. Done. Whole process only takes a few minutes.
The method suggested above only changes the pivot for that specific mesh within the world, it doesn’t actually change the base mesh.

3 Likes

That is a great one! If you do a lot of pivots then defiantly get the Pivot Plug-in on the market place has saved me countless hours of work.

Yeah but the center of the blueprint is its pivot so if you offset the location of the mesh inside the BP then it’s the same thing.

There are a couple of ways posted in this series I made;