How to package UE 4.27 android game for Play Store with aab <150MB

Hello! I am trying to split my 400MB android game to an abb<150MB and pak files. While packaging is implemented fine for windows, the android export results to a single abb (and an apk connected to an obb). Please can you help me?
I have enabled Google PAD, and i have given chunk ids to map and meshes. but paks are generated only for windows, so maybe a wrong checkbox in android project settings? :frowning:

2 Likes

Oh i figured that the pak files are not saved in the output folder that you save aab. It is saved in
project_name\Saved\StagedBuilds\Android_ETC2\project_name\Content\Paks
But now i am anxious to see if i just upload them to play store and thatā€™s it, or i should also upload a manifest or something like that, so they can cooperate all files togetherā€¦
So good luck, if someone has done it, maybe it would be nice to read your experienceā€¦

Still no response from someone and while searching i wonder if the expansion files for a big android upload to Google play store should be *pak or *.obb. Furthermore the playstore help section is responding by just sending to me the old documentation which is not validā€¦ I guess my christmas game will be uploaded for next christmasā€¦ :frowning:

So if someone has the same problem, i would like to inform you that
A. you have to enable the Google pundle plugin,
B. disable the ā€œpackage into apkā€ in project settings ā†’ android
Select to have as export aab extension.
So with this way the packaged *.aab file can be larger than 150mb, and still play store will accept it.
The only warning (but still the app is accepted and published) will be ā€œThis App Bundle contains native code, and youā€™ve not uploaded debug symbolsā€. Unfortunately i can not find unreal engine documentation for thisā€¦and the other problem is that if you d like old phones to play your game and decide to select sdk 27 in project settings,you will have new warnings in play store, concerning api compatibility. Still your app will be published,but these problems should be discussed in the forumā€¦
A little depressed for nothing being answered from noone,and strangling alone for a month,for a problem of 2wrong checks in project settings.

4 Likes

Hey, I have found this because I have got the EXACT same issue, so first of all, thank you to find out the awnser!.

Also, for everyone who is experiencing the same problem:

2 Likes

oh i think this article is a little misguiding for the specific problem we stated on the titleā€¦ Chunking is something else, and we donā€™t have to use chunks if we want to upload an aab greater than 150mbā€¦ my aab is 300mb and it was uploaded normally to playstoreā€¦ and pak files are not accepted to playstore, so i think this article probably refers to very big gamesā€¦
Thanks so very much for your answer, i am so glad if i helped a bitā€¦

1 Like

It generate the chunks and compress it inside the AAB, allowing you to upload it on Play store even if it is larger than 150mb. In other words, it will generate a single AAB larger than 150mb, but when the Play Console receives it, it will separate between the APK and the asset file (OBB, PAK or whaterver)
Right now I am having a problem about having more than one architeture on the same AAB. I need to create armv7 and arm64 separatedly, because some devices crashes if you use both on architetures on the same AAB.

You can upload them separately for 32bit,64bit, to the same project,no?you still have problem?maybe the chunk scenario created problems?have you tried with no chunks? My aab is 350mb and still uploaded fine with no chunks

1 Like

I attach some screenshots of my project settings, hope they helpā€¦

Yes, I donā€™t have any more problems on upload aab above 150mb, the problem was with the architeture.
When you package both armv7 and arm64 and check the ā€œEnable ABI splitā€ some devices report a crash on FMallocBinned2.
So far I just unchecked that and I didnā€™t got any more crash reports on that issue.
The intention on turning on this feature is reduce de installation package size, since it will install only the supported version on device. If you uncheck this, when the user downloads it on play store, it will download both armv7 and arm64 support, which is a bigger package.

If you are not competing on build size with other similar apps or any UA reporting the app size as a problem, you really donā€™t need the ABI split.

2 Likes

So,you all are talking that we can publish app without chunks,but when I uploaded in Play Store and download it,it shows oob not found keystore not found.

hello, the chunk procedure wont help you in this problem you are talking about. Check the above links to be sure that you are packaging properly the aab file. have you used a keystore in your packaging?

Thanks for replying,I have published my game and it was chunk problem only my game size nearly 250 mb so I used Google pad, before 1 month ago I donā€™t know that we should have a visual studio install in our desktop as it helps to compile the code.
You can check out my game:

1 Like

congratulations for the game, itā€™s very nice, i just played it and reviewed now :slight_smile:
if you want to check mine, it is just a small christmas game, trying to see if i can upload without problems to play storeā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t know if they wrote about it. But you can do this

2 Likes

Hey I cannot figure this out. For some reason my .obb files are created separately from .aab files and Iā€™m unable to upload the .obb to Play Console. I have no idea what Iā€™m doing wrong. Can you please help me with this?
Thank you.

Hey, I am having the same problem you were having, ā€œoob not found key store not foundā€. How did you solve this problem? I am completely stuck with this please help.

Never mind. I found the problem, I had ā€˜Allow large OBB filesā€™ enabled. I donā€™t know why it caused the .obb files to be separate from the .aab but disabling it solved the issue.

Hi,
My game is published with the hep of PAD but it says cant find obb file