How to merge 2 (unique) textures into 1 larger texture

Dearest developers,

I have two different 2048x2048 textures, each is a half of earth. I want to merge them into 1 material with the size of 4096x2048, so that mobile devices who can handle 2K textures at max, can run that 4K material. Sadly I can’t find out how to do this, all I seem to find are questions and answers about using texture coordinates for loopable textures.

Any help is appriciated,
Twistmeister

can a mobile device limited to 2k textures use a 4096 x 2048? i have never seen any specs that describe the limitations for rectangular textures, they usually assume textures are square, so its hard to find those limitations. i always thought if a device is limited to 2k textures, then you are not allowed to use a texture which is 1024 x 4096, even though its the same number of pixels.

Twistmeister, this approach should get you what you want…

I’m using textures that look like this:

97269-screen+shot+2016-07-05+at+6.04.54+pm.png

Here’s what the material setup looks like:

ScottSpadea, I think Twistmeister’s wording was just inaccurate. He doesn’t actually need a texture larger than 2048x2048 to be loaded onto the GPU…he needs two 2048x2048 textures to be loaded on the GPU as separate textures but then used to wrap a single sphere as if they were conceptually one big texture.

Hey ScottSpadea and Krxtopher, I did put in inaccurate information in the title I just realized indeed. I hope I did better in the description where I used the word material for the ‘merged’ texture. Krxtophers answer is therefore exactly what I was looking for and many thanks!

true. i still wish the documentation covered limitations on rectangular textures. was i correct that a 2k limit would not allow 1024 x 4096? because i never tested it. i like long textures because you can fit more tiling trims, but when you reach hardware limits, it seems like square textures are the best way to get as many textures loaded as possible.

also, since you are playing with UVs in a mobile material, would this be a good time to use Customized UV?

here is another approach, with less caveats compared to krxtopher’s technique. (which is also awesome)

I have never tested 1024x4096 either, so I really can’t tell. Thanks for the link I will definately have a look at Custom UVs. I hope it works when the commented part of Krxtopher’s answer is attached to the Customized UV0 pin slot :slight_smile: Right now I wouldn’t know as all the examples on that page only use a single texture.

In this case, though, Twistmeister doesn’t need to modify the UVs of the static mesh, so CustomizedUVs isn’t applicable. But generally if you want to achieve texture tiling on a static mesh who’s UVs aren’t already set to tile appropriately then CustomizedUVs is definitely the way to go!

Hello Luos,

Thanks for your answer! What program is he using to alter the UV coordinates?

Thanks again Krxtopher! Knowing that, it saves me alot of time putting custom UVs through trial-and-error :slight_smile:

doesnt matter, can be 3dsmax, blender, maya, modo, etc, etc.