How to make walk animation stay in place

I use the Perception Neuron 32 motion capture suit with the live plugin to record animations in iClone 6 Pro. I recorded a walk animation and exported to UE4 successfully, however, the animation “moves along a path”. I want to have the animation stay in one place (for example, stay at 0,0) throughout its duration. Ideally I would like to enable this in iClone or in Axis Neuron, which is the mocap’s software. In the Third Person Example project, the SK_Mannequin’s run animation “runs in place”. It is as though he is running on a treadmill. I want to achieve that with my own animation(s). When I tried to enable root motion, it had no effect on my animation.
Any help would be appreciated.

2 Likes

You have to disable Root Motion.

Afaik in PN it’s called “snapping the feet”.

Plugin for UE4: Unreal Plugin | Perception Neuron Motion Capture

Here’s script may be useful:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?85318-Perception-Neuron-Template&p=461209&viewfull=1#post461209

sorry, i’ve edited it for too long =)

This had no effect as well.

We have no problems getting the animations into Unreal, we don’t have to retarget or anything. The animation won’t stay at origin is all.

link text

Here is a link to a recording of my exact problem. Even when I enabled or disabled root motion, it made no difference to what you can see.

1 Like

Sorry, my post was kind of misleading.
I mean You could rid of root motion at the stage of production.

Also, I’ve just noticed that UE4 probably could handle Root Motion fine.
"While defining if Root Motion is enabled in done inside the Animation Sequence, you will still need to determine how that sequence is handled inside of an Animation Blueprint "

Found a solution.
Select desired pack.
Click customize pack. Checkmark “In-place”
Below that click the next animation, and that “In-place” for each animation.

What is the new method to customize the animation packs?? Website must have recently changed…

Same here, for the date of your post, I understand we used to mark the package with “In-place” option, and that is not present anymore. Please check my answer below, it works for most of the cases…

Okey…

So I find out an option that does the same as “In-Place”… but it works in 90% of the cases, some cases keeps failing, probably somebody could expand my answer.

Approach 1) In the Animation Tab, Asset Details, try to check “Force Root lock” & Root motion to “Anim first frame”
This will work in most of the cases, but sometimes your animation could go out of the idea… like start walking in the air… If that is the case,

check Approach 2) Enable Root Motion (Only) and Root motion Root Location to “Ref Pose”… but you probably will need to go to “Skeleton” tab, and rotate all bones to your desired position.

215536-solution.png

Whit one or another… I did the trick.
Hope it helps, let me know :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Another way you can do it is open the pre-imported animation in Blender and (if mixamo) copy the z of the first frame and paste in every frame. Now it will move up and down while staying in place. Might not work for all animations but I have made it work for a running jump so it is a valid technique.

Y is forward on the export units

1 Like

Same here, I am having that problem, my running and idle animations are good but once I play my animation montage during attack it makes my character out of place like hes being off the ground and starts floating which messes up my other animation coz it now even runs and idle while on air. Attach link to video — Unreal Engine 4 Beginners | Hi guys, does anybody know how to fix a problem in playing Animation Montage

I made a free Blender addon for this.

This is the post I shared in Unreal Engine Forums

This is the Gumroad Page of the addon

worked like a charm

Go to blender erase location Z under root(hips)

Seemingly tangental problem, but the above post by leofucci fixed an issue I was having using imported anims. Could not work out why the anims caused the character to wander away from the centre of the scene. The above keeps the character in place. Thanks muchly!