Download

How to make the sound actor understand the walls?

Sorry if its stupid question. I just started working with sound in UE4. I guess its solved with BP. If i have the sound actor with some attenuation in the field i hear it. So if i have the sound actor around the corner it`s must be not really loud as in the field. How to create behavior like i subscribed? Only BP? Is there some examples?

Ok. The solution is ambient zones and interior, exterior LPF. While the player is in the zone, he hears muffled thanks to the settings. But what if the object that the player quietly hears behind the wall itself bypasses this wall and moves to the player. But the player is still in the ambient zone with settings.

For “around the corner” stuff, I would look at our Audio Occlusion system located in the Sound Attenuation settings. It uses a trace to determine whether or not the sound source is “visible” to the player and adds additional attenuation parameters based on that.

AttenuationOcclusion.PNG

Wow! Thank you, Dan! I`ll learn this section.

Should I use this settings with BluePrint`s stuff?

Use whatever settings sound right.

Don’t use the built-in Audio Occlusion as it isn’t working in a realistic manner. It will just do a single trace towards the Camera and if it’s blocked, the audio is dampened.
Go for Steam Audio or any other proper Audio System.

Raildex_, you can’t make sweeping comments like that. Yes, the built-in occlusion feature is simple, but it’s simple for several reasons. 1) it’s simple and fast to setup, 2) it’s extremely computationally cheap. For many games and situations, the built in cast-based occlusion system is sufficient. Although Steam Audio is fantastic (I worked on it with Valve to implement in UE4), it has a significant cost in terms of implementation workflow and runtime CPU cost. If you have a game with many maps/levels, it could just be too much to fine-tune a propagation model for each level, bake all the data out, etc. For many games, it’s overkill.

You have to remember UE4 is a game engine and audio often has to live within tight CPU constraints. Often you can get reasonable quality via a combination of cheap ray casts and audio volumes to get the results of what you need (or close enough) without a huge black hole of implementation time and CPU cost.

So, how do I disable occlusion for the stuff in the players hand or the character itself wich is blocking the audio? I want to say, this mesh should not occlude anything, how do I do this?

Occlusion ignores parent objects, so you could parent the sound by attaching it; or you can create a custom trace channel that is very similar to Visibility but excludes particular objects.