How to make physics object move With moving surface?

Ok the question may sound odd but I couldn’t figure out how else to word it.

I have a ball I push around with the player to solve puzzles. It has physics simulated to achieve realistic style rolling.
I need said ball to roll onto a “Floor” that is moving back and forth in the Y direction.
When the floor moves the ball does not move with it, it attempts to spin a little and the floor goes out from underneath it, resulting in the ball falling off of said floor.

Does anyone know of how I can fix this? Or a work around?

That’s the physics engine working.

Add a Physical Material to the floor and/or ball. Then in that Physical Material, set the friction coefficient

EDIT: I noticed that when you open a Physical Material in the editor, the tab may be blank. In this case, check Window > Details to view the material’s properties.

I’m not getting any results.
The ball has physics enabled yes. When the floor moves the ball DOES not move with it…it triggers the physics and the ball rolls a hair and falls out from underneath.
I WANT the physics, but How can I get it to NOT be affected while the floor is moving?
I ,mean Yea I could disable physics while it moves BUT that’s a faulty looking transition between enabling and disabling.
The friction doesn’t seem to be doing anything when applied to the physical material I have now applied to the floor material. Regardless of the value the result hasn’t changed.

STILL trying to figure this out.
Can you attach a physios object to a mesh and make THAT mesh NOT affect it’s physics?
Again, at this point I’m just looking for a work around.

With sufficient friction, the ball should stick to the floor. If you crank the friction to say, 25, the ball won’t go anywhere. Stuck like glue.

Add the physics material to both.

Otherwise you might try parenting the ball to the floor, but I’m not sure how that will work. See Auto Weld.

Check your physics settings. Linear Dampening, Constraints, Inertia Tensor Scale. These are all things you can experiment with. I’ve never had your specific problem, but if I did, this is what I would check first.

In UE the point of contact of a ball with a flat surface is a very small point, so friction alone will not help much. After all, it doesn’t slide, it rolls.

Maybe try applying an additional impulse to the ball when it’s on the moving floor, or increase angular damping whenever the ball is on it.

Just checked: angular damping of about 3 works really nice and looks quite natural. Add a trigger box to the top of the moving floor, and On Begin Overlap set Angular damping to 3, On End Overlap – back to 0.01 or whatever your default value is.

1 Like