How to make irregular region borders in open world game?

I’m making a very large open world game. (It’s a life sized version of the island of Crete). One of the main things I want is for each region to be clearly and realistically represented. How can I detect what region the player is currently in? As you can see, the regions have very irregular shapes, so simple shapes, unless I use hundreds of them, won’t cut it. I want the borders to be accurate.

I’m new to Unreal, so I’m struggling with the trigger code. I’m still unsure whether trigger and overlap events even work for irregular static meshes, but I can’t even get it to work with a massive cube shaped trigger. Right now, the goal is to just have a simple UI animation play whenever the player enters a region, displaying the name of the municipality, which I’m testing right now by dropping the player in from the sky. Currently, the player goes through the mesh into the region, but nothing happens. This blueprint is attached to each municipality, which is a static mesh in the shape of the region.

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. If there’s a way to accomplish this without triggers and overlaps, that would be even better.

I know nothing about world composition, but what do you get from a downward line trace from the player? Is it something useless like ‘landscape’, or do you get the tile name etc?

Hello! One simple idea is just data preprocessing:

• Divide each region in several parts in such a way that each part is convex
  • Make for each convex part poligonal representation

With that it will be much simplier to solve that kind of task…

Interesting. If the individual tiles are small enough, that may be a possibility. Now I just need to learn how to do raycasting.