How to make FPS player controller (actor?) from scratch?

I tried FPS template and while I think it’s a pretty good starting point for beginners, I’d like to make my own player setup from scratch (although I am still a beginner with UE4 :slight_smile: ).

Basically I need a simple player for mobile VR, no player’s model, no view weapon, no shooting (but I do need to trace from either “head” or from a local to player coordinate to detect certain things for interaction), no jumping, linear motion without acceleration/deceleration, view tracking to HMD (Gear VR), collisions, WASD + mouse or/and XB360 gamepad controls in the Editor, bluetooth gamepad for Android (left thumbstick for WASD motion), dummy interface for Gear VR’s touchpad (vertical and horizontal swipes, tap, double tap, touch and hold, etc.)

Is it possible to have a simple blob shadow “cast” by player?

Would be also interested in setting IPD to match Gear VR and adjust height of the player to “fit” human into VR environment better.

When spawning I’d like for view to fade out of back, as it’s done in many examples from Oculus for Unity (using Oculus SDK’s functionality I presume).

Are there any tutorials about setting up FPS player from scratch in the similar fashion (perhaps minus certain VR specifics I mentioned) ?

Has anyone done this kind of setup before and willing to share their expertise ?

Thanks beforehand.

Why not tweak what you have in the template until you get what you want. That’s a very good way to learn how it works if you are a beginner.

Lol, better later than never :stuck_out_tongue: That’s what I’ve done 4 years ago, but thanks anyway :slight_smile: