How to make clean big text renderers with custom fonts?

For all of you all there who are having resolution errors, or the text is ruined… When first choosing the font on the “offline” option, choose the maximum size as well! You are probably importing font with size 10! Theory says you can change the font height as well instead of reimporting the suffiecient size.

Cheers

1 Like

When I try to use the offline font on Android is gone, no text show up but on editor and local mobile preview works fine, any ideas?

I just wanted to say thank you for this
I really needed it

Try restarting UE4. I had the same problem, but after restarting UE4 the text render displayed properly.

I can’t believe I have to ask this after all this time; we’re doing broadcast work, so the font needs to be as perfect as we can get it. Distance field is always terrible when you get close enough. I’ve taken to importing the fonts really large (196), with very large pages, with anti-aliasing, and shrinking them down to fit in our virtual elements, and the text comes out sharp enough, without any weird artifacts. Text is very important to us, and AR is actually much lighter weight than games, so it’s the trade off we need.

The problem is that the space character doesn’t seem to get scaled, so the larger height when importing, the less impact each space has. I need like 20 spaces in-between words in order to make it look right, and that just isn’t going to work. Is there some way I can make a specific character (the space) render bigger, somehow?

EDIT: It has to do with the font itself; some fonts work. Still, I don’t know how to resolve that. I’m stuck with the fonts the designers give us.
EDIT 2: I figured it out, but will leave this here in case anyone else encounters such a problem. Even though they were installed in Windows fonts, they had to be converted from OTF to TTF first.

I found a 3rd party plugin that, although a bit buggy, produces very clean text.

It’s called: Text Tools. It does cost, but I think it’s worth it.

FWIW, I’ve discovered that, if you REALLY want “clean” text, follow dj-mindar’s suggestion - but DO NOT use distance field alpha. Choose the maximum size font, and you should get very sharp, clear fonts that do NOT take a half hour to build distance fields for - they reimport immediately, and with much better results, IMO.

If you care more about render speed, then stick with the distance field alpha; if you care more about clean text, turn it off.

What I’ve discovered is that distance field alpha may be wonderful for speed, but for quality just turn it off, and then you can use more more reasonably sized fonts (like the maximum size they list, instead of typing in a huge value).

What we really need is for Unreal Engine to adopt Slug. Using SDF fonts is amateur night by comparison.

After playing around with this for my custom font, and not getting any useful results despite the tutorial, I came up with an easier solution to using a text render. Just create a custom widget and you can place that in the world with a blueprint. The regular font import works fine for UMG, so it’s a great workaround if you’re having issues getting your text to display properly as I was.

Doesn’t work anymore.
UE just doesn’t let me select “offline” option.
it is there and I can click on it, but clicking on it doesn’t actually select it.

1 Like

I had success with the following:
-importing at 128 pt font when you do the initial switch to offline mode (don’t change the height setting after importing at a smaller size)
-Check “Create Printable Only”
-Make the texture 1024 x 1024
-Create a material in the way described above

I’m developing for VR so quality matters but this hasn’t caused me performance issues (yet)

1 Like

This doesn’t seem to work for asian characters. It plainly ignores them in the import, even though I specifically downloaded an asian font.

I’m relatively novice to Unreal Engine, but why in the world do they make fonts so friggin’ weird? I wrote a DX11 app that renders your system font to a texture, and that’s any font you want that is installed on your system, and is as smooth and clean as butter. Granted is quite a bit of work to get it all setup, but engines are supposed to give you both speed and quality i thought. I just don’t understand why UE editor doesn’t give me the list of all fonts on the system and allow me to do the same in 2 clicks.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. I wanted to import the classic Doom font into my project but couldn’t figure out how. This guide made it happen. Everything looks good. Thanks again!

i finally found something that worked for me. Here are my settings. what made the most difference was changing to height to 52, although I assume making it bigger would help even more. Though be warned, the bigger you make it, the longer reimporting it will take. Oh, and after you change the settings, you need to reimport the font asset to apply the changes. I’ve also attached the material I use just in case.