How to make camera move up and down as player walks?

In a lot of fps games, the camera will move up and down as you walk to add realism. I have looked at many tutorials, but to no avail, only to find a few for the third person template. (my game uses the first person template) is there a way to make my first person camera sine up and down as I walk? Thanks!

Are you asking about camera shakes?

Camera Shakes | Unreal Engine Documentation

You can apply these to unreal engine 5 too. Even though the examples are in third person, it doesn’t matter.

Just follow the tutorial and it will work

Thanks! really helped. :slight_smile:

No, camera shakes are not the “head bob” that gets played when walking in FPS games.

I think @gamertram is asking for the effect where the camera (or spring arm) is attached to some particular bone in the skeleton, and the walking animation of the skeleton will move it up and down, and thus the camera will move up and down. Each bone can be used as an attachment socket, so either pick a bone you already have that moves right, or make one specifically for the camera.

The default first person shooter attaches the camera directly to the character capsule, which does not have this “head bob.” Given that the FPS view of “hands and weapons” is often from the top of the chest, rather than the actual eye height, you might want to make a dedicated bone for it.

actually the camera shake thing helped a lot!

You’re right for a curated camera animations, using a skeleton and animating it with Blender or Control Rigs would be the best option. But for a simple prototype or a basic effect doesn’t need to be perfect, Camera Shakes would work just fine.