How to make a video level work in a packaged game?

Hey, so I’ve got an intro level that just displays a widget with a video in it. Works great in editor. But when I package the game it refuses to open the level completely. I think I’ve screwed something up in the packaging process. not sure if I needed to include specific movies to package. But I checked the packaged content folder and the movies were in there. Hopefully it’s a simple fix but any suggestions are welcome :slight_smile:

Hello kimmyjimmle, thank you for posting this question.

I reviewed the documentation and found that the instructions are quite particular. Especially when they mention placing the video in the Movies folder via File Explorer.

On another note:
I found that if I change the RHI from DX12 to DX11, the video will play in my UE5 build.

I hope this helps.

3 Likes

Hey, Thank you for your response!
It turned out that i just needed to Go in project setting>packaging and add all of my maps to the list. but I am having a new problem of the video not playing in the packaged game. it’s just a white screen with the audio playing?

Thank you for the reply, kimmyjimmle.

For the white screen, I encourage you go over the steps again from the documentation previously mentioned. There are two vital tips:

“In order to package and deploy your content with your project, your media must reside in the Content/Movies folder of your project.”
and
“Placing your media files inside the Content/Movies folder of your project will ensure that your media is packaged with your project correctly.”

The engine is rather particular about this. Once you have tested the aforementioned tips and the RHI, feel free to reply back. I look forward to it.

1 Like

How does it work if I want to place the media files in a separate chunk? In my case I want to download movies with GooglePAD on-demand to reduce the initial app size. Maybe I don’t need to add media into a chunk but how can I download these files on-demand if they are not in pak files. The official documentation describes only the case for usual assets