How to make a tank?

Hi Forum People… don’t know what to call you guys… I have a question about making a tank that works in unreal engine… the important part is that it’s not top down… the actual cannon or turret should move left/right using the mouse, but should be slowed down, so even if the camera suddenly points in another direction, then it should slowly move towards the location, Ik I might have to use keep, but I don’t know how to add the mouse support or the lerp into it. Only left and right by the way. Up and down is optional, I don’t mind, but I prefer left and right only,

The second part, the tank should be moved with wasd keys, rotate left and right with a and d and back or forwards with w and s.

I would appreciate it if there was a practical video or tutorial for it or at least something simple to follow. I found one video, it was a floating tank that showed the basics. But the controls for the turrets still weren’t my style.

Hey @YORU8843

“Forum people” ‘jazz-music-stops:smiley:

So there are different tutorials:

From EPIC without skeleton:

Another one without skeleton:

And this was a small project for a user who wanted to control the tank with the thumbsticks of a gamepad (also has a “keyboard” tank), very basic, with and without physics:
Tank.zip (960.1 KB)

You could now create a tank without a skeleton just with different meshes which are parented to each other or model the whole tank in e.g. Blender and create animations for it. Have a look at ChaosVehicle. There are also a lot of videos. You “just” have a big car with more wheels and a turret :slight_smile:

What should your tank be able to do? Is a simple tank (just some meshes) enough?

2 Likes

I thought the first one would be basic modelling and yh, I was talking about the second one… the main thing that I’m trying to do is control the yaw input with the mouse but only for the turret. Apart for that, the rest is simple, the tank will have hp, and there will be power ups, laser, rail gun, shotgun, etc. so that’s for me to figure out, this tank is actually for a school project for level design, I need a tank that’s at least playable in a 3d maze. Simply capture the flag 3d version of tank trouble. I’m tryna keep it simple, but moving walls is the only other feature I have planned and it isn’t even a difficult feature

Thanks for your help by the way

Also, what did you mean by animate a tank in blender, it’s only going to love so what is there to animate?

I meant that you can create a Tank with a Skeleton in Blender, so you have a rig. Then in Unreal you can create your animation. AnimationBlueprint, ControlRig, what you want.

Still confused… I’ll search it up soon but seems a lot more difficult with skeletons. Not sure if it works better

just a quick question, I want the turret to follow where the camera looks, how would i do that? of course I need to lerp or slow down the actual cannon though

You could use your mouse input to rotate the camera and the turret at the same time so they both have the same relative rotation or rotate the camera and lerp the turret to the same rotation.

Just one example.

Well… just realised keeping to a location isn’t as easy as it sounds with a constantly changing variable