How to make a simple first person melee attack

So I want to create an attack animation in Unreal Engine 4 (similar to the punching/melee attack in the Halo games) so how would I go about doing this sort of thing? I’ve seen plenty of tutorials for weapons, especially for third person, but how would I attack an enemy with the butt of the gun like in a game such as Halo? I already have a simple AI controlled enemy with a health system for myself and the enemy, as well as a melee animation, but how would I make the attack hit the enemy?

If you want a custom animation where the player uses his weapon to hit an entity, then this requires a related animation for it. If you just want to add basic attack you need to setup an AnimationBlueprint for it and inside your player blueprint a attack node function, like On Input Key Attack, play Attack Animation1. This YT channel has some good tutorials for setting up attacks (3rd person player, but should be similar to FirstPerson).

Thank you very much! I’ll check it out later when I get back to my computer in a few hours. I already have the animation, so that’s good.

Hi, are your melee attack animations free? Where did you get it from?

Mixamo is a great resource for animations. It does require a Adobe Sub, just… get the 14 day trial ^^

I know mixamo is great, but it doesn’t have an animation of a gun waving an elbow ,sad (