How to make a physical menu like Metro: Exodus?

Hi, I would like to make a “physical” main menu in mu game (i.e. the buttons are 3D models and move when pressed):
andrii-zelfit-mykhailov-untitled2

I think the most logical way to do this is to have the main menu buttons be transparent and placed over the modeled buttons. However, in the “Event Graph”, I can’t manage to enter the time line that has the animation for the button model to move. Can anyone think of a way to do this?

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.
Thanks in advance

1 Like

I can’t find a solution but this video showed me that it was possible: The Light Gameplay Trailer - YouTube

These are both examples of actual interaction with objects.

In the original pic, the words are part of the texture on the housing under the button.

In the second example, these are just cubes and cylinders being interacted with via a line trace ( or possibly mouse screen location mapped to world ).

1 Like

Hey there @TijerinArtStudio! So diegetic UI is very cool and there’s always a couple of ways to pull it off depending on how you want it. If you want physical buttons hard buttons, you can capture click events and process the logic like you would UI but physically. You could use animations or timelines (I use local translation and timelines for the ability to scroll back and forth. and take accurate in line measurements). However in your example the fun part is when it comes to monitors and things of that nature. You have a couple of options. You can either manipulate the materials, or you could actually use a 3D widget and attach it flush with your monitor. Both could be viable, but it more or less depends on your level of experience with either. I’ll drop some resources below:

Disclaimer: One or more of these links are unaffiliated with Epic Games. Epic Games is not liable for anything that may occur outside of this Unreal Engine domain. Please exercise your best judgment when following links outside of the forums.

Thank @SupportiveEntity and @ClockworkOcean it’s just what I was looking for but I couldn’t find the right way!

2 Likes