How to make a Mario-style death animation in a 3D sidescroller?

I was wondering how I could make a death animation where the player character springs into the air before crashing downwards to the bottom of the screen, similar to the Mario games as well as other platformers such as Sonic, Kirby, and Donkey Kong Country Returns & it’s sequel (not the original trilogy though, as it didn’t have that style of death animation), in a 3D sidescroller like the one I’m currently on.

295725-rip-mario1.gif

I know it can be done in a 3D space as the aforementioned Donkey Kong Country Returns, it’s sequel: Tropical Freeze, and the Super Mario 3D World-style in Super Mario Maker 2 all feature style of death animation. However, I don’t know the specifics of how to pull off, such as how to get the player character to spring into the air & then fall through the ground to their awaited demise.

I’ve noticed that in the case of Donkey Kong Country Returns that Donkey Kong seems to spiral upward into the foreground a bit before falling. I’m not sure if that’s done for purely aesthetic effect or its intended as a way of having Donkey Kong avoid contact with the ground as he falls, but I thought I should mention it just in case. I’m not sure whether or not the 3D World-style does the same in Super Mario Maker 2.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Just launch character up and after disable all collision on character!

Thanks for the response! I’ll still have to figure out animation and post-processing effects so that the character remains visible while falling through the ground, but should help give me somewhere to start from.