How to make a group of characters follow a single character

Greetings community,

I’d try to make this question as specific as possible.

I have a GROUP of character_blueprints that I want to follow a specific path that I’ll determine or keyframe in the Sequencer.

Until now, I had a group of characters parented on an empty actor. By keyframing this actor, I’ve made the group follow a path. The problem is that the group moves like a brick, and it is dragged on the landscape rather than moving.

1)Instead, I want to make the character_blueprints move by using a preset of animated movements for turning left-right, etc.

1. I want to create a specific group of character blueprints to follow the movement of either an actor or a single character blueprint, thus simulating a unit’s movement.

3), E.g., I want character_blueprints, from 2 to 10, to follow character_blueprint 1, but retain a predetermined formation, let’s say a square formation.

Is that possible?

1 Like

I would probably use pathfinding and eqs (environment query system) for this. I would set it up by using eqs to generate points around character you want other characters to follow and use custom EnvQueryGenerator to generate those points.

edit:
However, if you wan’t easier solution you could first create custom scene component called for example “BP_FollowerLocationComponent” with single boolean variable called “IsOccupied” and attach multiple of those to character that you want to be followed in square formation. Then in character blueprint that is following, you would get reference to one BP_FollowerLocationComponent and get its world location and simply move to it like so:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for replying.

Since I’m a total noob when it comes to Unreal development and have zero knowledge in scripting other than being able to create workable character_blueprints for what I wanted to achieve.
Mind that I only ever use Unreal to create videos, thus the limited use of blueprints and scripts.

Is there a way to record the procedure that allowed you to create the result in your video?

I’m guessing that in order to have a character move like that just by clicking, I need to create an animation blueprint that will include a whole package of movements.
E.g., turning left, right, walking etc.?

I will also need to figure out what a custom scene component is.

Thanks again

I modified Top Down template that comes with ue5 to create that demonstration. It could be difficult to follow with lower engine version if I made video tutorial.

Also custom scene component is just component that inherits “Scene Component”.

I’ll try to follow the instructions in the screenshot.

Maybe even do some research about what you’ve posted here.

The reply from Cuban_Pete was certainly extremely helpful.
But, if someone can provide a little more context or a more specific-detailed description of the same thing, I’ll be much obliged.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

I hope I’m not spamming.

Quite desperate to find answers.

Even if somebody can point me to specific tutorials for each step, it would help me.

I need a group of character_blueprints to retain a specific formation and move on the landscape to particular locations that I’ll point them to.

It would be great if the group could achieve that by following an empty actor or following a group leader.
And since I use a custom skeleton and not the UE engine skeleton, I need to have a locomotion setup for the character.

Would love to see a follow up to this! Someone has to have put together a video tutorial on this by now!