How to make a engine trail particle?

I want to develop a engine trail particle effect. Does anybody have an exmaple? The one from the content examples is not good enough. It keeps flickering.

thanks in advance and kind regards

Hello ERuts,

I experimented with a similar issue that involved creating a jet trail. This comes down to several factors.

1.) Shape and color of particle. I found that using a sphere as the particle worked best for this.

2.) The parameters of the particle. Size by Life which will emit as a larger size which will then trail off and become smaller.

3.) Lifetime. For a jet you don’t want the particle to last too long. You will run into issues where the trail will become scattered the further away it becomes.

4.) Velocity. I gave a very fast velocity to the particle and made it spawn in the Y direction. This eliminates movement in any other direction through influence of another Axis.

5.) Spawn Rate. In order to get a solid looking flame I needed to spawn a number of particles at once.

Hey !

Thank you very much for your clear explenation. I love the screenshots, it helps alot in order to explain issues like this clearly.

I see that you use a high spawn rate to simulate a trail instead of ribbon data. I love the solution, the inly problem is that when there is no movement, alot of particles will be spawened at the same place and this causes a extreme performance loss due to shader complexity wich is caused by the overlapping transparrent layers. But this can be solved by exposing the spawn parameter and increase/decrease it regarding the momvement of the particle.

Below you can have a peek at our engine trail. Our problem was to use the ribbon data propperly. But the problem [seemed to be a bug][1]. It seems that the ribbon data is not able to follow the initial source at high speed. Also the ribbon data cannot be set in local space. This seems to be the main cause of the problem mentioned in [my other thread.][2]. The solution for this is to expose several parameters such as initial size and change these regarding the throttle output in game.

Thank you very much and kind regards,

ERuts

I will set up an experiment and attempt to reproduce this issue.