How to make 4 square mile map?

Ok so I had another forum where I was asking how to make a 50 square mile map and everyone recommends world composition. So I plan to make it in chunks of 4 square miles, but I don’t understand the terrain making system, can someone please help me with the settings?
TheGroundDivision - Unreal Editor 9_25_2017 4_23_21 PM.png

All the info about creating landscapes is here: Landscape Outdoor Terrain | Unreal Engine Documentation

Ok but I was just wondering about this specific size, like what I should type into the boxes to get this size map.

Did you read anything in the docs?

Yeah but i didnt see what I was looking for, I am just looking for the specific numbers because I can figure out what combination will get me 4 square miles.

Will this get me 6 sq km/ 4 sq mi?

Does it really matter in the game? Do people worry about the measurements being all down to the finest of details when
they are actually going through the world playing the game? I see alot of highly detailed poly models that are based on small
tiny objects like a diamond ring, or a piece of chewing gum, a butter knife, or a glass jar, or stuff basically that will have little to
no visual impact at all in the whole game (except of course for running down all your frame-rates). and you find half of these tiny
objects have 50,000 or more polys in them.(some 100,000 - 200,000 or more). Of course those are found mostly under the
FREE models… But why would the landscape need to be 50 miles in size? Are you trying to make a small planet?

Im just wondering because I drew out my map to this scale so I want to put stuff in generally the same place with the correct scale.

So what size map would you recommend for a multiplayer survival game if you think 50 square miles is too big. I want to have different biomes and cities too.

ark is 8x8 … or was it 16x16?

Yeah that’s around how big I wanted it but everyone says its too big unless I’m making a flight sim or something.

You can calculate the size, it depends on factors like the scale you set for the quads of the sections etc.
Let’s say if you choose a scale for the quads of 100.0 (=1 meter), I think you can multiply that with the overall resolution of the map.
You can find more info in the “landscape technical guide”: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest…echnicalGuide/
You could also place an actor in the world, like a cube, and set its scale on the x-axis so it has a length of 1 km (or 1 mile in your case) so you can have a reference for a good view on the total size of your landscape while tweaking the parameters.

it matters because I want to make sure i am making it the right size so it stays optimized.

I’m new to unreal , I’m trying everything i can to get people to point me in the right direction and it just seems impossible. we shouldn’t be asking why and just get straight to the point and give what we know , time is of the essence when creating games or film projects ect . we should be helping eachother to achieve each others goals . if you want to create a multiverse bro. good on you . . anyways . I hope this YouTube link will get you closer to your goal , the settings he has in video are 1 km sq. , or so he says , maybe work from this and let me know. if we just had a meters or miles comparison to the quads ect , it would at least give us something to work with . like , is it 1m sq. per small square then changes when adding or subtracting? we need references , nowhere does it really explain how big a quad is in real world measurement . just any reference please ? anyone ? . no whys buts or snarky comments that just inflate egos and deflate others . please can someone just explain this in a more understanding way , or point in the right direction? Creating Unreal Engine Landscapes with Real World Height Data - YouTube

what settings in unreal would we need to enter , in order to get firstly a 8x8 and secondly a 16x16 . I’m sure it would be a lot easier if we had an example . as beginners we mainly understand mm , cm , meters , miles and kilometres . well that’s what I got taught . all the docs I see , don’t really give the relevant reference to these measurements , giving a clueless noob like myself , nothing to go by . it doesn’t say 1 quad is 2meters or 2cm ect , its very confusing . if you could just give examples of the settings , even if its 1kmsq compared to a 2 km and screenshot so we could have a reference and do the maths ourselves for an 8x8 or 16x16 . please

You can use the grid to determine the size your terrain.

Make the recommend 4033 setup and then switch to ortho top down view and you can see on the grid that it is just about 4km.

If you need to fine tune for meters you can adjust the scale slightly or change the landscapes component settings to something otehr than the unreal recommendations.

In some cases, precise terrain size does in fact matter. I agree it is annoying when people try to redesign your game when they know nothing about it.

And the unreal landscape technical documents are obscure as hell, but the great thing about digital work is that it is effortless to test things out so we can also encourage noobies to just punch in numbers and look. It’s easy to do.

1 Like

Also, go read the export documentation for World Creator. Even if you don’t use that software, it has a very artist friendly explanation of how to get the size you want from unreal terrain.

1 Like

you sir… you…are a legend

keep in mind, unreals default unit of measurement is centimeter. You also always have access to the editor cubes which are 1m. So you can take that and multiply/divide the scale by powers of ten to easily make size references just in case you are second guessing yourself.

1 Like

so in the orth top down , does it actually give a number referring to map size in km ect?