How to locate any components of the actor-blueprint and get access to their properties?

Hi :slight_smile:

I have a question of how to change properties of components of Blueprint Actor Assets rather than of actors which has been placed in the level.

I am using UE5 currently, and the level artists in my team need a simple tool to help their tweaking the properties. It is, there are some blueprint actor classes they are dealing with, and they should modify some properties such as Max Draw Distance of Static(Skeletal) Mesh Components of the blueprint actor classes.

The hierarchies of the components I need to deal are not strictly determined, so the automation script may need to find components recursively.

Some example of component hierarchy would be like this…

Root Component

• Skeletal Mesh
  • Some Component
    – Static Mesh
    — Skeletal Mesh

By googling, I could gather some snippets of script such as getting reference of selected assets, filtering out them by asset type and so on… Any helps would be appreciated :slight_smile: Thanks!

1 Like

Hi, did you find a solution? I watched your thread last week. Now I had the same question.

How to edit the Properties/variables of a Child BP (it adds as Child Actor Component) that is inside a Parent BP - (this has been asked since 2015).

So your question is more for Mesh components, while mine is for Actor Components. What do you need to change on the Meshes, something like their Materials?

I have a partial solution to CastTo the [component] > get its [Property to change] > then set it by using a Variable in Parent BP (which is a copy of the type of Variable in the Child component).

• (Btw using CastTo can be a bad method - it links assets together and makes it hard to switch the receiver code later. Im looking for a better method.)

See post for pics: