How to kill UE4Editor.exe when it hangs (frequently!)?

So about 5 times in the last 4 hours UE4Editor.exe has randomly frozen. It does not respond and there is no reason for this. The process just sits there forever doing nothing and it CANNOT be killed via task manager (Access is denied despite me being admin on my computer).

Sometimes it hangs when playing the game, other times when loading the editor, other times before or during an autosave, other times when just losing focus.

How am I supposed to end the task correctly when this happens, as at the minute i have to log out on windows and log back in again, which closes down ALL my open programs and windows.

Has anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it? The engine looks great but OMFG does it crash like it’s pre-alpha state or something! Is this a known issue with the most recent (4.23.3) version? Is an earlier version somewhat more reliable?

The only thing I could say might be an issue is that it’s not installed on drive C but drive F, but that shouldnt be an issue because if it was then they wouldn’t let you choose where to install it, surely?

I am facing the same issue especially after comile some shaders. Did you find any solutions?

Same here, I have an AMD Ryzen 9 - 5900X, 32 GB RAM and a NVidia GeForce RTX 2060. I use Unreal 4.27 and it keeps hanging randomly.

It’s not due to being on other drives, for some reason I get the hangs as well randomly, the only way to get rid of them is to restart the system as simply logging off doesn’t work.

I don’t know why but UE is the only application I cannot end. Tried a whole bunch of sysadmin tricks (Stop-Process, taskkill, even some special applications - none work)

For some reason it says the process is child of a non-existing other process which actually has no instances. This is starting to plague my work badly at this point so if there is any info I can provide to help fix this crash, it would be great.