How to install and setup Unreal Game Sync

Hi everyone!

A friend and I want to make a project this summer, so we decided to use Perforce as our version control software. Having worked with UGS in the past, I thought it would be a good idea to use it with this project. However, since I never did the setup myself, I was wondering how do we actually install UGS and get it running with our project? I tried reading through the Unreal Docs, but it said ‘The following steps assume that your team has distributed and set up UGS on your machine(s).’ which is not the case and I haven’t found info on that anywhere. I looked in our Unreal directory to try and find the UGS folder so I can build it in VS but there isn’t any. Do we have to build the engine from source? If so, how do we do that? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Hey Ppcat01,

First of all. Awesome that you are using perforce!
I have used UE4 with Perforce for a few years now and I never actually had to touch Unreal Game Sync outside of unreal.

After setting up perforce I just press the source control button on top. I select perforce and it automatically finds the workspaces I created.

304410-sourcecontrol1.png

I got it in the engine from source. But I did not build it yet.

I will try to build it and see if I can open it.

Thanks for the tip Rene! :slight_smile:

Everything’s setup to use P4 now and we’re ready to roll! However, just in case, if someone knows how to setup UGS, please let us know!

I managed to make it work, getting the engine from source was the info I was missing. Thanks!