how to increase FPS

I am making for eg racing game (Asus rog series computer). FPS are between 40-60. How to increase fps closer to 75 or 100?? I have made some blueprints. Is there some other blueprints to make better fps to over 60?? ddd84b2e8f5cd601a2cfdfe86b90b81959f1ecdf.jpeg

do you mean lower the graphics as much as possible to get more fps? why would you sacrifice graphics to get over 60 fps when your monitor probably cannot go higher than 60 image per second? that does not really make sense to meā€¦

1 Like

Turn off vsync.

Also look into project settings > engine > rendering

to be fair a very large portion of gamers have 120+ hz displays these days. especially since its only ~50$ more over a standard 60hz display in most cases now.

but one project fps is only 10-30fps so it woulde be nice if it increase to for eg 40-50

well I do not notice any difference from 30 to 60 fps, sory for my ignorance.
and alro rog (republic of gamer) is a brand of laptop, I dont think asus would put a 120= hz monitor just to make sure the battery wont last.

Please do not pull that **** out of your ***, come on its the 21st century.

the human eye sees motion not frames, and the eye can see unlimited motion, the connection from the eyeball to the brain is limited to around 1000 fps.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a myth you need to forget. The human eye doesnā€™t see ā€˜imagesā€™ itā€™s more like a constant stream of light. As soon as a image series shows more than 22 images per second ( the exact number depends on your brain ) it will be interpreted as a movie. But everything above can still be recognized. Itā€™s a question on how fast your brain is to process what your eye receives.

vkz7t5mur1ay0z3f20nq.gif

I guess you can clearly see the difference between 25 and 50 fps. When you are playing a game at 50 fps your brain has 20ms to process every single image. There are trained people (like combat pilots) which can process an image in less than 5ms, so they can handle 200 fps or more.

But a higher frame rate is not only used for delivering more information to your brain. It also reduces effects like ā€œAfterimagesā€ and so on.

show up your stats

Stat commands such as stat unit and stat fps give you some numbers to start with.

and please, freky chats about brain ingenier go to off topic.

The discussion wasnā€™t completely off-topic, since this thread is about increasing FPS and someone said that you donā€™t need to increase it after youā€™ve reached 25fps.

Btw. your link is broken.

Correct link: Testing and Optimizing Your Content | Unreal Engine 5.3 Documentation

The previous had an extra http:// in the end :stuck_out_tongue:

thanks Grb :slight_smile:

High framerate is importat for gameplay,(physic, efects, input, etc) regardless of human eye framerate.

open the console and type this:
56fbc1240a18f12223b81fafbc7304a53e0b0df1.jpeg

now you can see the stats
103d9585584ef0d56bb4b13268cda597a33ee50b.jpeg

Check your draw stats, probably you need a frame under 8 ms to get 120 frames.

Optimizing a game is an art.

ok. I am making simulator project where is lot of grass that player can cut. so fps is low if there is in player sight lot of grass, but if there is for eg mountain separete to grass area, fps is little better

LODā€™s for the grass will be required.

No need to panic, I might be wrong, I might be right. Im not pulling anything out of my rear end. what I based my statement on is that alternative current is 60hz, if you do not see the light in your house blink super fast, then you cannot see 60hz and certainly not 1000 image per second, and yess I still call them image because I am no **** doctor and this is the best name I can find for the input your eyes capture and send to your brain.

now if I am wrong, feel free to tell me why without insulting me.

The insults come from the fact that information is easily available, its not 30 years ago where what your parents told you was all you knew.

a simple google of how many fps the eyes can see and you will be bombarded with information on why we donā€™t see frames per second.

as for your light flickering, many people including myself can easily see light flickering, especially in the corner of your eyes if you pay attention.

i can 100000% guarantee that i can see the difference from 60 up to 144 hz, as i have been using 144hz displays for a few years now, looking at motion
on a 60 hz display gives me a headache now that iā€™m no longer adapted to looking at motion at low frame rates, there has been testing proving that
people have been able to see 200+ fps in test environments, especially when there is adrenaline involved.

You donā€™t have to be a doctor to research basic human anatomy before stating facts about it.

the only limit on how many ā€œframes per secondā€ we can see is the optic nerve, and its limit of data transfer is about 1000 fps.

Just thought Iā€™d leave this here

The light in your house is not a good example since itā€™s not going to be dark at any point in time (only if you turn it off ;)) as you can see in this video. So itā€™s a lot harder for your eye to recognize these changes, but as already stated some people can see it.

For an amateur itā€™s hard to see any difference, without having a direct comparison. Thatā€™s because 60hz monitors are not flickering or anything like that. They are just not as sharp, fluid and responsive as monitors with higher frame rates.

better example. people can see the difference. its just fact.

agreed, the best example of this is long term effects.

my wife use to play her games at 60 hz on a ips panel and use to complain of headaches, so i swapped her to a 144hz panel and upgraded her machine to handle 120+ fps in most games and she hasnā€™t got anymore headaches from playing games for months now.

just because we can see motion @ 24fps donā€™t mean its ideal.

ideal will be when we are over ~160 fps.

There are cpu things you can do to improve framerate as well. Itā€™s not just graphics settings. You can use the Game Stats Unit to see how many ms your game logic is taking.

If you are doing things in Tick on any Blueprint this is a possible place you can get fps improvement. Moving the Tick portion of the Blueprint to C++ is one thing, but also get rid of anything on Tick that doesnā€™t have to be there, moving them instead to Events and calling Events is much better for example as compared to checking a Boolean value, or worse a particular state of things in the game world every tick.

Also Texture size. For one of my projects the Texture size has been the biggest problem with fps, and reducing to smaller textures has improved fps noticeably.