How to include only used assets in your Package?

I’m packaging a project, but when I look at my package, I see all of the starter content assets included with the package instead of only the ones I have used. How do I go about including only the assets I have used in my project with the package?

Hey Rwkeith,

Packaging already removes any content not being used by the maps being cooked in your package. So the simplest way to get rid of that extra content from your package is to remove the maps that reference that content from your project.

A more complex but more thorough method can be found here in the archives:

Hope that helps!

Ben Halliday

Ah I figured it out. Thank you so much.

Hello,

Starting from a blank project with starter content, I tried keeping only my modified minimal default map, and deleting the startermap.umap file.

However, once I package (with shipping, and even the distribution checkbox checked - is that latter only for Apple Devices, or should I keep checking it?), my package folder still has all the assets present in the Content Browser.
I also tried the more complex method by editing MyProject/Config/DefaultEngine.ini, to no avail.

So the only thing I’ve found to reduce the footprint of the package is to delete the unused assets in the content browser before packaging.

I must be doing something wrong, but what?

Thanks for any help or hints your could give me.

I also have this problem. after migrating some assets to a project, packaged size increases even if the assets are never used. Is there a way to avoid this? I would like to be able to have assets available in the content browser in case i would like to use them, but not increase the size of the final game if not utilized. I am packaging for windows only at this time. Hopefully this can be resolved as it is rather disruptive to workflow to have to hunt down individual items for import in an effort to keep release size to a minimum.

EDIT: or, an option to select items in pending deletes that that have references, and remove them from pending deletes? That would help me greatly in the process of cleaning up a project.

Epic there is a problem within this.
I have 25GB of textures, but I am not using them right now… Yet if I package the game with a simple empty scene, all the 25gb of textures are copied to the packaged game even though they are not used anywhere.

I’m also having this problem in 4.4. One empty map results in over 1 Gb of packed content.

Experiencing the same issue. Quite annoying when you want to share pre alpha stuffs with people. Also, i’m getting bored of UE reseting collision settings at every update :’(

Version 4.4.1 having this problem, too (packages everything, even content not in use).

I retested this with 4.4.3 and still get that issue. From a Blank project with Starter Content, I removed the 2 default maps from Content/Maps, and created a simple new empty level, and packaged that. The starter content still gets packaged, resulting in a 500Mb “empty” game…

Ben Halliday said “Packaging already removes any content not being used by the maps being cooked in your package. So the simplest way to get rid of that extra content from your package is to remove the maps that reference that content from your project.”, yet the documentation says : “This can end up being a slow process if you included the Starter Content in your project, or if you have made a lot of test/temporary content and maps.”
(Source: Packaging Unreal Engine Projects | Unreal Engine Documentation )

I would still be interested to know if there’s indeed a way not to include that content automatically? Because the documentation as it stands doesn’t seem to make it the case. If there isn’t, is the only way painstaking manual removal of unused assets (a risky business, isn’t it?) the only way??? There must be something better…

(Other tests : from a new project with no starter content, I get 88Mb. That sound reasonable for just the engine. Although I guess you could remove an extra 29Mb if you don’t include the Third Party libraries… Then I tried adding the Mixamo anim pack, without including any of it in my empty level. And sure enough the packaged folder shot up to 350Mb. So it does that with everything, not just the starter content. Something clearly isn’t working as intended here, it seems.)

Any news on this? Is this issue fixed?!

not fixed yet. I got it in 4.6 preview now.
Deleted all the maps except 2, and ended up with 2 GB of cooked content. Some standard assets and mixamo characters etc… which are not used in those maps at all

this is a MUST thing

This works: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/11790/packaging-specific-maps-within-a-project.html

Edit defaultengine.ini

Oh man this is not cool. I thought this was a given. Haven’t been checking the size of my packaged levels since it was just to see if they cook without errors (happens from time to time). I figured the packaging process would UBER optimize everything. Sh*t…

A found a solution to this…

Create a blank Project…(with no starting content)

then open your Ddevelopment project / migrate the Levels that you want to include…to the blank project

open the blank project, this should now contain only the relevant items…

I went from a 2G project to a 500M project …

:wink:

Yep, same problem here. I have some fairly large sets of models in my project and currently a single map. The packaged game (for some reason only 32-Bit is allowed, why ever) is over 1 GB in size.

Thanks for the tip!

This still is not working in 4.7.4. I tried building with pak files disabled and confirmed that every single asset in the content folder of my project is being included, referenced or not.

4.10 Preview 1 here, all content is still included in paks.