How to implement easy character movement by player controller

Hello,

I tried to implement an easy way to test character movement within a level. For this I wanted to create a character bp where the character would just move around to random locations when the player pushes a button on the keyboard. I tested it with the begin play event and the character moves nicely once to a new location. But I am having difficulty implementing the “character should receive commands from player logic”.

I tried casting to my player controller, then switching event begin play for a keyboard input and changing the controller input to the “my payer controller” variable, but i cannot get the character to move this way.

Any hints or suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Hello! Just configure Input in Project Settings and after that you can simply select this input node in Blueprint editor by it’s name. Check this out Input | Unreal Engine Documentation

Thanks. But it should not make any difference if I designate a button in a bp or create an action mapping? Creating an input event is not the problem. It still seems that the character is not receiving input from the player controller.

“It still seems that the character is not receiving input from the player controller” - can you share more details? What template is used and what changes are made to this template character BP?

Yes, I hope so. So I started a new project with no content. So far I created three BPs to enable basic controls:

• Game Mode to configure the default classes
  • Player Controller (as new default play controller class)
  • Camera Pawn to enable an RTS-Style View over the map (as new default pawn class)

Also I created a landscape and a NavMesh for Unit Movement. The camera works just fine, basically because I followed some tutorials closely that explained the creation of the camera pawn.
Then I imported one of the Paragon Characters from the Epic Store to get a skeletal mesh and some animations and materials for a character. But now I am struggeling where to implement a logic that enables the player controller to give commands to a character that. As I understand, controlling a character in a level is achieved by an interaction of the player controller and a character BP. But do I need to script the movement logic in the player controller or the character? Or ist both possible?

Thanks!