How to hide variable from Defaults? [4.7.1 - 4.8]

In previous versions, variables were visible in Default tab only when marked as “Editable” (eye icon). Now, even after unchecking “Editable”, ALL variables are still visible there, which causes a mess and confussion. I would like to control which variables are supposed to be edited via Default panel.

1 Like

If I’m right, it’s not possible anymore to show in Class Defaults only editable (with eye icon) variables? The only thing i can do to tidy up Class Defaults space is to assign variables to different Categories?

In the variable’s details view, select the down arrow to show the hidden settings. If you activate the “Advanced Display” option, it will hide the variable from the Class Defaults view for this Blueprint. You’ll need to compile the Blueprint for the change to take effect.

2 Likes

I’ve figured it out (and forgot to post an answer here), but thanks bro :slight_smile: +1

How did you do it?

Exactly like in the answer :slight_smile: ‘Advanced Display’ option did the trick.

This didn’t work for me :frowning:

This option only hides it from the default class default display. You can still hit the downward triangle to view these variables. So its kind of a partial solution.

2 Likes

I agree. There doesn’t appear to be a way to clean up the blueprints defaults via a variable setting.
What I have had to do is mark the variable as private, then add a pure const getter function to retrieve the value (keep the Access Specifier as Public). If I understand the documentation correctly, Blueprints creates a getter for you for the public Blueprint variables, so this feels redundant. If there was a “Do not show in defaults” while still allowing it to be accessible publicly via the Blueprint generated getter, it would clean up the Defaults section. It’s all about intent. I don’t want the variable to be editable in the defaults, nor do I want it to be read only in the defaults (if it is read only it suggests there is some usefulness/intent/purpose to having it showing). If it is not useful in the defaults, then it’s just clutter, imho.