error: RPC failed; curl 18 transfer closed with outstanding read data remaining
ffatal: the remote end hung up unexpectedly
atal: early EOF
fatal: index-pack failed

or like this:

fatal: the remote end hung up unexpectedly
fatal: early EOF
fatal: index-pack failed

I’m on 800Mb download / 300Mb up fiber optic network. Never had such issues with UE4. I tried multiple times and after downloading 10Gb, it stops and I have to restart from scratch…

Is there a workaround?

UPDATE: this time it stopped at about 81%
Receiving objects: 81% (3831282/4718850), 15.34 GiB | 711.00 KiB/s

1 Like

Hey there @Talad! I don’t have a workaround myself. I had actually had the same issue and left a report for it. After a couple of tries it successfully completed. An early End of File kind of like it was timing out. You’re cloning with the correct account tied to your developer sign up right?

This is likely that you’re either out of disk space, or your internet connection is flaky.

If it’s your disk space, well, clean some up :slight_smile: You need several hundred gigabytes free for a full project built from scratch with everything.

If it’s your internet connection, figure out a way to clone less. One option is to clone --shallow which will not get the history, only the latest version of each file. Another option is to git clone some-hash at some git revision that’s a year old, to pull less files, and then git pull -r origin release or somesuch to then make a second pull request that pulls the rest of the objects.

You can browse the GitHub history to find revision in the history to clone. Start in 2017 and move forward one year at a time and see if it improves things.

A third option is to spin up a virtual machine in a cloud like Amazon EC2, and clone to there, and then use something like rsync to incrementally move the cloned repository onto your local machine. Then shut down / destroy the cloud VM. It’ll cost a few dollars, but really not that much overall (if you remember to shut it down.)

Thanks for the answers. Internet is stable, and I have a 1Tb blade disk dedicated to it.

I now used this command:

git clone https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine.git --depth=1 --single-branch 5.0.3-release

Which is cloning only one branch, and its excluding history. The result is a significantly smaller download (130K files instead of 4 millions), and only 295Mb compressed, 2.2Gb uncompressed download, instead of 15Gb+ and it worked.

Receiving objects: 100% (137165/137165), 295.18 MiB | 865.00 KiB/s, done.sed 0

I also noticed that the speed to github is only 500-800Kb/s, while when I launched Setup.bat the download speed is significantly higher:
Updating dependencies: 13% (13187/88469), 2830.2/21037.9 MiB | 102.02 MiB/s…

4 Likes