How to get the same version across my office

Hello,

Recently me and my co-workers have been testing out Unreal (and it’s fantastic!) but I have an important question. Most of us were working on a sample project to test with in Unreal 4.8.2. Another employee joined in halfway and submitted some changes but he was working with an updated Unreal 4.8.3. This caused some errors because some of the uasset files imported in 4.8.3 could not be read in under 4.8.2. So far, I haven’t found out how to modify what version of Unreal you have installed outside of hitting the update button and grabbing the latest.

My question is, is there a way to install a specific version of Unreal on a new machine? Specifically, manually installing an older version. I’d rather have everyone working with the same version from start to finish on a project and not have to force all employees to update the engine just because 1 new person joined the project halfway through.

Thanks!

Why don’t you want to upgrade? Simply upgrading from 4.8.2 to 4.8.3 isn’t going to ruin anything in your code or project (that is more likely from 4.8 to 4.9, and even that will likely require minor changes if any). I have had the same projects from 4.6 to 4.8.3 and the only real changes I had to make were that all of the text nodes were changed to some other node. Each update usually comes with amazing features & fixes each time anyways, I highly suggest you all update.

Grab the source from GitHub and build it manually. Distribute this to each employee along with the project files. This is also the only way to really work with the Engine level C++ and really make it your own version of Unreal. I’m pretty sure you can grab any version in particular and either just compile it and leave it as is, or you/your programmers can edit anything.

https://.unrealengine.com/ue4-on-github
https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine

That being said, the 0.0.X updates are bugfixes, and if you CAN grab them for everyone, you should. Unreal won’t automatically grab the 0.X.0 updates- you’ll grab those manually.