How to get started on game modes?

I am making a fps multiplayer shooter, and I have made the maps, characters, animations, etc. I am now wanting to make the actual game modes and implement them into my UI, like free for all, team deathmatch, capture the flag, etc. But I have no idea where to start with this. So my question is just that where do I start? If anyone knows of a tutorial, video, or anything to get me started on the right path that would be great! thanks.

Hey there @mckayfitz1! There aren’t too many resources on this broad of a topic. So I’ll just give you a high level view of how you could go about it. For game structure you’d generally have specific game mode logic in their respective gamemode class. I’d recommend first build a generic game mode that handles everything that each of the game modes will do that’s the same inside of functions, and then make a child game mode of that and make all of the variants. This way you can override functions however you’d like and still have clear separation for each of the variants. Then past that you just need to make sure you set up each level with the proper game mode and build out the logic.

1 Like