How to get output values from Timeline component within a child class?

Hello,

I have a parent class with a Timeline component which outputs a float value and updates a float variable.

I am trying to override the Timeline Update function in the child class, but I would like to keep the part that updates the float variable the same, and change the stuff executing downstream.

To do this, I would like to get the output value from the Timeline and update the float variable in the child class, but this doesn’t seem possible to do?

(In my screenshot, for example, I am trying to get the “Track Alpha Out” value in the child class.)

Unfortunately, I can’t simply call the parent Timeline Update function, since I want to make changes to the other stuff downstream, and not everything downstream can be encapsulated in a function that I can override.

Should I instead just make a new Timeline component specifically for this child class and go from there?

327468-ue4editor-v0hfwzbqq3.png

You can do this:

327501-screenshot-1.jpg

Hi ClockworkOcean,

Thank you for the reply. I think my variable naming scheme might have been confusing. I’ve re-uploaded my screenshots here. I am trying to get the values out from the Timeline Component, now renamed to EnemyPawnMoverAlphaOut, while in the child class so I can update Track Alpha.

Track Alpha is a variable in the parent class that I can easily get in the child, even without casting. It’s just the variable from the Timeline component that I am having a hard time getting. I hope that makes more sense.

(Timeline in Parent Class above)

(I want to override Timeline’s Update Function in Child class, and use Enemy Pawn Mover Alpha Out to update Track Alpha)

Yup, you can’t get that. But… if it’s updating the other variable every tick ( on timeline ), why not use the other variable?

Also, what are you trying to achieve in terms of effect? I think you can’t override the timeline anyway, you’ll just end up with two process fighting each other…

Hi ClockworkOcean,

I can’t just use the other variable, Track Alpha, because I want to override the timeline Update Function of the parent. The override would prevent Track Alpha from getting updated by the timeline. There’s a lot of other logic further down the execution stream I want changed in the child BP.

Ok, I might end up just making a different timeline component for the child. Might be easiest.
Thank you for the reply anyways!