How to get control rig variables as outputs?

Hello.

I’m working on a control rig where I’d like to retrieve the location on controls created by that rig, and pass them over to another control rig.

I’m using 5.8

In theory, I should be able to select the variables in my control rig, make them public, then in the ABP control rig node toggle the desired variables as outputs and get them from there. I never “get” the variables in my control rig, I only “set” them in a forwards solve chain.

In reality, when I toggle output for a variable in the control rig node of the anim graph, the variable always appears on the left side of the node as an input, never the right as it should. When I toggle output on like this it seems tied to input, toggling one toggles the other.

The unreal AI assistant (which often is very helpful) insists that there are switches which simply don’t exist to tell the control rig that certain variables are outputs not inputs. It seems determined that extracting a variable from a control rig is possible, even though all of its suggestions are wrong.

This above^ shows the crux of the issue, I toggled on “spline points” as an output, and it also turned it on as an input and left it on the side of the node where I don’t need it.

Any suggestions on things I might have missed? Or is this functionality just broken? I’ve looked a little for other people having this problem and the complaints are years old.

If this method is broken, then are there any other ways of extracting these variables from somewhere other than the anim graph, maybe in a linked blueprint? I’d like to avoid adding bones to my skeleton, driving them in the control rig, and directly finding their positions, but I fear that might be the only valid option? - Hopefully not :smiley:

Cheers in advance!