How to get Blueprint to Blueprint Variable Communication

I’m very new to Unreal Engine, and I’m currently working on a long-term project. I’ve been coding in C# and C++ for several years, so blueprints and their limitations often get mixed up with what you can do manually coding. Unlike scripts, I can’t seem to find a solid understanding of how to get one blueprint to send a variable to another blueprint. I’d love some help on this.

My current struggle is this. I have one script, Drawing, that draws onto a canvas using Line Trace. The color of that line can be changed manually through the variable in the script called TraceColor. I’ve done this by making Letter Key Events to change each of the RGB values manually from black to red, red to blue, ect. So I know that this part of the script works.

The second blueprint works like a color wheel, called Colorpicker. It records the RGBA values of what is on the color wheel and shows it in the small block below, so I know this is completely functional. The variable for this resulting color is labeled as CurrentColor.

I would like the resulting color of the color wheel to change the color of the Line Trace. Aka, TraceColor and CurrentColor should be the same thing. Unfortunately, because Colorpicker is a widget and the Drawing blueprint is an actor component, it’s made things a lot more complicated. I don’t have a 3rd person blueprint, as this is a mouse-click-based game and I figured I didn’t need one, nor do I know how to make one. I’ve also tried using blueprint interfaces, but that tends to require a 3rd person blueprint still. Casting hasn’t been working, and I think that might be just me misunderstanding how it works. No tutorial seems to be helping, so I would very much appreciate any assistance you can provide.

1 Like