How to get an output from a custom event

ok so i had made a post asking about how i can use a delay in a function but everybody told me that its impossible
because i had made a script that i give it a word and it will add char by char to make a nice effect of talking but it uses delay so i cant use it in a function and i also cant in a widget because i cant cast to a widget in it (there is no get all widget of class) so i have to use a custom event but i cant use bp interface and messege because if i want to use it more then one time it will still fire in every single event of it so is there any way to send a exction from a custom event to tell me when its done?

Basically you want to have an effect that add character by character in a dialog box (inside your widget). I guess the text is send to the dialog box every second by example?

Not sure if this is what you try to achieve, but what do you think about pushing all your text to your widget then inside the widget create the effect that you need ?

also, normally you can use get all widget actor from all type of blueprint if I say nothing wrong.

also they is no way to get a direct output from custom event, the best you can done is bring him to a new custom event (and loop like that).

no thats not the problom i have the effect done i want an output of excection to know when it is finished so the game would know when to do the next thing

Here my quick solution → calculate the max length of the sentence and turn a Boolean variable off, so when you send the last character you can turn on the Boolean variable so the game can continue.

If you want we can maybe have a little skype (we don’t need to talk) only to show me exactly where you have problem to advice your other BP that they need to continue.

what happens whit this question 678GUY?

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but events can’t have outputs. Isn’t that what functions are for?

oh soory i forgot to replay i did what you said i calculated the the time it will take and i sticked it in a function so can you please say that answer again is an answer so i can accsept it

answer::

Here my quick solution → calculate the max length of the sentence and turn a Boolean variable off, so when you send the last character you can turn on the Boolean variable so the game can continue.

done, and don’t forget that custom event is in your blueprint and doesn’t have output like I said above. Function have output but no delay nodes, Macros have delay & output, but you need to create the execution nodes yourself.

This is a current work around I have been using. Have had to do quite a few work arounds lately. Seems Actor Components are not as flexible as the Actors themselves. But I digress. Don’t remember who but someone above mentioned this route with little detail, so I will emphasize, as I know all too well the shoes of a new developer.

1 Like