How to force the Animation Blueprint to update even when the mesh is invisible?

I need to make my skeletal tank mesh invisible when the player enters sniper mode. However, this causes the Animation Blueprint to stop updating after a few seconds, thus breaking the turret rotation system. Is there a way to force my Animation Blueprint to update, at least on the client end?

I think what you are looking for can be found in the optimization settings for the skeletalmesh component on your actor. It’s called “Visibility Based Anim Tick Option”, and there you want to choose one of the “always tick[…]” options.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I already set that to “Always Tick Pose and Refresh Bones” and it bore no effect. Is there anything else, perhaps regarding visibility clipping, that could be stopping the Animation Blueprint from updating? I have already debugged the inputs and they are working properly.

Hi there,
Is your tank mesh part of your player? Have you tried to set the tank mesh as “owner no see” instead of not visible?

Sorry for the very late reply! The project was corrupt and my internet was out for a few days. Unfortunately, I have tried both the SetVisibility and SetOwnerNoSee nodes to no avail. Just to confirm, the turret does rotate if I leave the tank mesh visible.

Tick option on the ABP should solve it no matter what.

Owner no see is different, you have to first make sure the owner resolves to a controller if i remeber correctly.
Then you parent, then switch the flag on/off.

In all cases, you are 100% doing things wrong.
The ABP should not include any code what-so-ever.

The pawn or character or whatever BP containing the object is the one that is to be in charge of all calculations.
It, can access the ABP and change their values regardless of tick or visibility.

Essentially you wouldn’t even have the problem in the first place, since the values keep chaning regardless of what is being rendered or not.

I had a similar issue and this solution worked for me :slight_smile:

1 Like