How to fix landscape material from becoming checkers

I’m having the same issue, would love a solution.

What I did
Part 1 (Works)

Part 2 (Works)

Part 3 (Does Not Work?)

Part 4 (Does Not Work?)

If anyone knows how to stop it from going back to the ue4 basic material please tell me I can’t seem to stop this (engine version = 4.15 / 4.15.1) - Thanks

**Video Tut I used to make this terrain material (Great Video)

FIX -

By (How extendable is vehicle system of UE4 ? - C++ - Epic Developer Community Forums)
hi, im the one who made that tutorial () and most of the time the checkerboard is related to the shader using too many texture samples ie too many layered materials. Either use less textures / materials or do what artistcaleb recommended and set your textures to shared:wrap that should fix the problem.

I just commented on the video tutorial i use hoping for a fix :slight_smile:

1 Like

Found a few things out: make sure all the textures are set to ‘shared wrap’, also I changed them all in photoshop to 8bit, they were 16bit. If you are using black and white images for stuff like height info and AO, just use the red channel to plug in (in case you get any errors). …oh hang on, I just looked at the tutorial, haha we’re using the same one, cool, then take a look at whether the textures are 8 or 16 bit, that’s what did it for me. I put the height, AO, and another texture in the RGB channels separately in photoshop too, I don’t know if that helped but it’s working now.

2 Likes

hi, im the one who made that tutorial and most of the time the checkerboard is related to the shader using too many texture samples ie too many layered materials.
Either use less textures / materials or do what artistcaleb recommended and set your textures to shared:wrap that should fix the problem.

great thanks

i had the same problem , I apply material on a ramp and looks like checkers ,even if press on build it was staying like that , but i fixed it by coincidence , i click on the right mouse and I chose edit mish , after i saw the mish and its properties , i saw there the material and UV’s , i change the material there to the material that i want , and i fix the UV’s channel and i press on apply changes and after i press on save , and that’s how it was fixed .

I HAVE to use 3 floats on texture object!!! HELP I have the checker pattern, on the shared wrap texture samples, It is showing checkers on the landscape. PLEASE HELP

Changed them to Shared Wrap and texture samples. No Fix though.