How to fix a bug with UE5.1 which causes the mouse cursor to become hidden

I’m encountering a bug in UE 5.1 where dragging a file leads to the cursor permanently disappearing until I restart the editor. Another UE 5.1 bug. Tired of bugs in UE 5 but my clients are ohh soo stu… anyways fix for this pls??

1 Like

stuff to Try :
Shift f1
Esc
Shift Esc
Right and left mouse click and drag in viewport
Window-load default layout

These are all workarounds, mostly, I press Windows key to bring it back up until I drag something and it disappears again. I need a fix. This is getting SO annoying.

1 Like

I have same problem.

Welcome to the UE 5 haters club. Snacks in the corner, tea in the back, bingo every Friday at 9 am.

Also, the only way to avtually “fix” it is to play in viewport, then actually press Shift+F1, then actually use your actual nouse cursor to press the stop button. No shortcuts allowed. You need to repeat this a couple times for it to work but eventually when UE5 feels like its tortured you enough, it will bring the cursor back until it disappears next time.

2 Likes

Same issue here, and I’ve resorted to habitually pressing the Windows key nearly every time I do anything. It’s driving me crazy, and it’s still happening in 5.3.

I have a handful of UE5 projects yet only one of them exhibits this problem, and it was a project that’s been updated to each version that started on with 4.27 (maybe 4.26, I don’t remember).

This tells me it’s either a corrupted project or some legacy setting that’s breaking something else.

For those of you seeing the problem too, are you seeing it with fresh 5.x projects or were they also something that came from the 4.x days?

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue. It’s hard to operate the engine like this.

Also my cursor does not change based on context like when you hover over a window edge to resize, my cursor is not changing to that specific icon, it always looks like that default icon.

3 Likes

I encounter the default icon stuck cursor too. UE5 is just a flustercuck

Same problem here… any solve?

None yet. I haven’t tested 5.3 though

1 Like

Shot in the dark here, but do you:

• have an nVidia gpu?
  • have multiple monitors?
  • have DPI scaling set to anything other than 100%?

If so, try setting your DPI scaling to 100% and see if that does the trick.

1 Like

2/3

I have an Nvidia RTX 3080Ti
I have 3 monitors

But my DPI scaling has not been modified

Yeah, the DPI thing ended up not working for me, either. Trying to find other commonalities:

• Are you using CommonUI?
  • Are you using FluidNinja Live?
  • My project started in 4.25 (I think?) and was updated each step up until the current release of 5.3.2. Did yours follow a similar path?
  • Is your project BP-only?

Nope not using any of those assets. My projects were made fresh in 5.1 I think and migrated to 5.2. Have not migrated to 5.3 though

I found a fix! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz2sMYPAQDU

5 Likes

More of a workaround than a fix but hey it works for me. I actually unknowingly did this way back when I started working with 3 displays and needed a bigger pointer lol

I never could have guessed though that this is what “fixed” the disappearing mouse issue.

1 Like

That did it for me, thanks for the suggestion. I had to go from 3840x2400 with 225% scaling to 1920x1200 and 100% scaling. Worked like a charm.

I deleted Saved, Intermediate, Binaries files and generated visual studio project files and it worked