How to find an asset that's been placed in a level

Does anyone know if there’s a way to find out exactly where an asset is being used in game? I can check the Reference Viewer and see what sublayer it’s on, but I’m not sure how to find the asset’s location in the level. I can search Outliner, but if someone has replaced the static mesh with a different one, the name in Outliner wouldn’t automatically update, so that’s a bit unreliable. I found a workaround by placing one of the meshes I’m searching for in the game, selecting it and hitting Shift+E but that won’t find the instances that are buried in Blueprints. There’s gotta be a tool for this somewhere and I just can’t find it… yet :slight_smile:

If you have 20 cubes in your level, in the reference viewer, you’ll see that level is using a cube static mesh, and various material(s).

But you’ll never find the objects in your level in the viewer, because they are instances of the assets. Instances are not stored in the reference viewer.

That makes sense, but I’m not expecting the Reference Viewer to find them for me, I was just using it to see that there are some instances of a particular mesh being used in a scene, and I was hoping to find a tool that can help me track them down individually. Do you know if there’s a way to do that? Like in your example, how would I find all the placed instances of the 20 static mesh cubes?

1 Like

That’s the problem, you would need to pop open the level file, and search it.

The editor doesn’t provide a search like that.

So you need to write your own, probably in CPP.

Ahh, I see, that’s too bad, but thank you for the info! I’m not quite up to writing my own tools yet in Unreal, but hopefully soon :slight_smile:

1 Like