How to fade in text from a rich text block?

I want to create an effect where each letter appears over time, as if it were a typewriter effect but using a material if possible, thus, with a fade in effect like this:

the ideal way is to use a retainer and add some effect with the material.
but retainer has a bug as of 5.3 with rich text and they won’t work together.

maybe you could use a simple text inside a retainer but i don’t know if that works (you’ll loose things like font and format (bold etc))

you can probably fake it by messing with the rich text itself, like old-school fansub karaoke fx. but it’s probably a real pain (specially parsing the “<>” tags)

if you find a better way please let me know im also looking for this.

1 Like

Are you looking for a way to avoid wrong wrap text or just correct rich text in typewriter style? :slightly_smiling_face:

im looking for a nice way to implement the typewriter effect using a rich text. and using a material.
without messing with tags and manual parsing.

and btw this is i nice guide but i couldn’t made it work with it.

Well… I was working on a function yesterday where the logic is very simple. I alternate between writing or not writing with Rich text and make an add using the function that comes with it, the dialog shown and the new letters from the input text. Would it happen to be something like this that you were looking for:

But you said you want to implement the materials, right? The logic may be exactly the same. You can even shorten the tags while writing them and just use them as a whole when sending the text shown with an append.

The only problem with my code is that it is recent, I want to improve it before finalizing it. I think it can be even better because I make an append with all the letters that are, let’s say, in Rich text mode.

Was this more or less what you were looking for?

thanks yes it’s similar and that seems to be the solution i’ve mentioned of parsing and rewriting the text letter by letter.
ive done code like that in the past and i’d really like to avoid it. it’s very limiting in terms of what you can do (vfx wise). and has that problem you see there with alignment and wrapping that i truly don’t want.
if it serves you then it’s fine, but it’s not worth it for me.
though if you have a link to that code i’d be interested to take a look, in case i’m missing something.

i wish epic fixed the retainer bug on ue5.4 but i won’t test that until a few weeks more.

I’m still fixing the code and can send it soon. Until then, why don’t you try to check out this project from a noble dev friend who made it available to us:
TextAnim.zip (71.4 KB)
By:
L1z4rD89

And about text wrap, there is an easy way to deal with it. You can just move down a line (Shift + Enter) when a word/phrase becomes too long and avoid this “jumping” effect of words. The only problem is having to do it yourself, having to check the ends of sentences and see if this weird effect happens.

1 Like

your noble dev friend is amazing. :slight_smile:

btw i just noticed this was fixed on 5.4 so you could try it if you can.
you could implement animations using the material in the retainer.

i plan on moving to 5.4 but it could take me a few months.