How to export metahuman control rig & skeleton to 3d Application?

How to export “Metahuman sample project” control rig & skeleton to 3d Application? even the mesh as fbx cannot open in maya. Thank. Just wanted to do a short animation showcase for an ad

Try the following to export the fbx.
1 -Choose the blueprint you want to export (face or body) on the content browser, right click and Asset Action> Export

2 -Export it to the same folder where the uasset of the blueprint is located (Content>SampleMetahumans>…)

3 -Choose FBX ASCII, uncheck everything except the morph target (but you can uncheck that too, but there will be no blendshapes).

4 - The Unreal will alert that there is a new asset, try to import. It will fail. Open the same blueprint that you exported and on the mesh tab, click Reimport base Mesh> Reimport Content>Geometry. Choose the fbx file that you exported on step 2

5 - Now, right click again and export it to fbx, the same config from step 2, to a different file. This FBX should be imported correctly in Maya (if there are blendshapes, it may take a while. So first try unchecking this option)

What I noticed is that when you first export the fbx, there are no source files associated with the blueprint. After the reimport content>geometry, it will associate the fbx file to both the Skin and geometry. (you can check this option by just passing the mouse over the blueprint so it shows the infos)

I can attach pictures if you cant make it.
The control rig I didnt manage to export. Don’t know how to do it. But the fbx comes with all the joints and the mesh skinned

Hello Dmaciel
That didnt work as well, and thank you for the reply.
could you please post the pictures so I could try it out.

I want to inflate / deflate the characters in another DCC for a project.
any help would be appriciated.

cheers
pavan

Hello. I’m pretty new to UE4 and trying to get the MetaHuman sample into Maya. In UE, I am not able to do the export as you outlined because FBX is not an export option when a Blueprint Class object is selected, only when using a Mesh. I’d really love to get the full head/body rig into Maya as a unit if possible looking as it does in UE. Is this not really possible? Thanks.

I uploaded a zip files (attached to this comment) with 12 jpegs showing what I did to get the metahumans inside Maya 2018. What I didnt manage to do right was get the animation from unreal inside Maya, but I am trying a few things

Look my reply above and the zip with the pics showing what I id

1 Like

Hi Dmaciel
thats great - I am sure that would work well.
will surely check it out ASAP

any chance of exporting the entire animation from sequencer to an fbx !
so I can deform the animated mesh.
look forward and thank you

Hi Dmaciel
thats great - I am sure that would work well.
will surely check it out ASAP

any chance of exporting the entire animation from sequencer to an fbx !
so I can deform the animated mesh.
look forward and thank you

I managed to export the animation from sequencer to fbx, but when I import it into Maya it doesnt come correctly (the head stutters at many frames and I dont know where this frames came from). I dont know whats wrong. If you make it please share

Thanks for sharing the images to show the step~!

Hi Dmaciel
of course
will surely let you know Once I do :slight_smile:
appreciate all the info and time
cheers
pavan

Thanks for the help! <3

u can use this way

Hello Dmaciel;
I followed the steps you described to create an .fbx file of the head of my character to import it in Blender. It worked pretty well !

Thank you so much!

Any news on exporting an animation sequence to fbx sequence? I am trying to bring the animation inside Houdini so I can make some special effects and then back to Unreal to render. the static mesh works well, but I can’t find a way to export the animation. Thanks

thank you. I’ll follow your advice.
But I need the opposite, I need to pull out the MetaHumans (head) from Autodesk Maya and insert it into the UE4. (replace with original). How???
I easily export MetaHumans to Autodesk Maya through Quixel Bridge, but then from Maya the character MetaHumans goes into UE4 broken and with errors.
THANK YOU FOR ANY HINT.

Thank you for your experience. How now do I unload MetaHumans back from Autodesk Maya to UE4?
(and when exporting so that all settings and skeletons are preserved).
I’ll be happy to talk to you and if you need to encourage your advice.