How to enable Chaos

Hi everyone, I have a question about chaos, I’m developing a project that has physics as its main part. Is Chaos fully usable in multiplayer? Is every piece that is destroyed perfectly replicated between clients? Thanks for the reply

https://forums.unrealengine.com/core/image/png;base64

use my guide.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/announcements-and-releases/1641765-how-to-enable-chaos?p=1780034#post1780034

use my guide and it will work…

https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/announcements-and-releases/1641765-how-to-enable-chaos?p=1780034#post1780034

no, it is not replicated. you must replicate it yourself.

Hi, i managed to make chaos work but i have a problem with my static meshes, i add a static mesh simulation component but i can’t seem to make it movable.

Dunno why everybody here fears VS 2019. I compiled the newest 4.25 plus branch with 2019 and it works, they probably fixed all issues now. :slight_smile:

Are there any actual videos from Unreal staff on how to setup the Chaos Beta install? This has been so frustrating to set up. Every build I do doesn’t work and is buggy in different ways. All the unofficial youtube tutorials out there have slightly different directions on their setup, which give me very different results, and I can’t find anything from an Epic official video except for a link to the documentation, which doesn’t have enough detail, such as all the settings one should have in Visual Studio to handle this.

Hey @Jonah211,

as this feature is in beta i doubt there will be any support for it until it becomes production ready ie. **4.26 **that being said i think there is a guide for people who are newer to engine source and experimental features,

However all is not lost a guide has been posted here by a community member @

https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre…34#post1780034

Make sure you get 4.25 plus

4.25.3 chaos demo is working perfectly in the editor but I cannot package it for windows.
EDIT - So I tried packaging again today while connected to internet and it packages and runs flawlessly.

Having read this entire forum history, read the wiki, and watched the following video: Chaos Fundamentals | Live from HQ | Inside Unreal - YouTube I still have problems.

A geometry collection set as dynamic immediately explodes (tried with a collection of meshes).

• Changing the value of the floor does nothing.
  • Switching the chaos physics thread to something besides task view causes dynamic meshes to no longer move at all.

Any insight on these issues? 4.24.3. VS2019.

First issue is 2019. its not fully supported yet and is a bad choice since no consoles even support it except windows and linux and mac.
4.24.3 is not a good choice either. 4.25.3 would be the best route as chaos has alot of fixes in this version.

use my guide. there only seems to be 1 branch working and that is shown in my guide.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre…34#post1780034

its because most consoles don’t even support 2019 yet. tell sony and sega and nintendo and xbox to get on the ball and upgrade their crap LOL

Thanks @. Moving up to 4.25.3 did solve my listed issues and more. Now to figure out how to get collisions between static geometry collections and skeletal meshes…

Is there anyway to get the BP’s from 4.25 into 4.26 p1?

How to Disable Chaos 4.26 p1 ?

Hello, I have multiple questions related to performances & optimization :

• Is it possible with C++/BP to tell a chunk to automatically enter sleep mode when its speed goes under a determined value, without using sleep fields? Sleep fields are not really flexible, in Epic’s demo they are placed under buildings so they don’t take into account the case when your chunk gets destroyed at 3rd floor, gets blocked by the 2nd floor that is still intact and the sleep field is at ground level…

• An alternative to the previous question is to simply delete small chunks when they are separating from the original mesh, instead of sleeping them. But I don’t know how to do this. I tried using the “Break BreakChaosEvent” node within a geometry collection promoted to blueprint, and linked the “component” return of the node to a “DestroyComponent” node : it seems it targets the entire collection instead of generated chunks, and it’s crashing the game + the editor.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/Images/Engine/Chaos/ChaosDestruction/ChaosDestructionOverview/Chaos_OnBreakEvent.jpg

If I link the “Component” output to a function node “DestroyComponent” then the target is actually the geometry collection instead of the generated chunks, and the game + editor crash when testing anyway.

I’ve seen that it is possible to generate break data and filter it by mass/speed/volume in a Chaos Solver Actor but I have no idea if it’s related to the chunks or the original collection, and I don’t know how to use this generated data.

@Rainoxer you could use a field for this right, the individual fractures should be affectable as they are able to be disabled or killed individually im sure there is a threshold somewhere for how many particles can be under simulation at once

Did you have any luck using spawning Niagara particles from destruction data?

No I cannot because sleep/disable fields are usually static & placed on the ground, which means if a chunk separates from its mesh on the 8th floor of a building but gets stopped by the 7th floor, it won’t stop simulating because it won’t enter the field.
And I can’t place a field on the 7th floor because it would disable the destruction of this floor.

I really need to find a way to destroy the small chunks as soon as they separate from the original mesh.
My goal is to be able to simulate an entire skyscraper falling down (I need it dynamic not pre-cached) with a good framerate. So only the large pieces that could affect gameplay by hurting players or providing cover should be simulated. Usually, that’s not a lot to simulate because we are talking about things at least 1m^3 large.
Maybe you are wondering why I still want to have chunks as small as 10cm^3 if I delete them when they separate? Simply for bullet holes and other small damages. It depends of the material by the way. For example, steel beams that are usually supporting the weight of skyscrapers are not as brittle as concrete.

Would like to know too.

Delete it.