I want to touch-up the shape of the hoodie (create more wrinkles, it looks too flat) on the male character of the UE MetaHumans.
I tried for the last 5 days with the UE Cloth Painting tool (and lots of googling). But I’m not sure it’s designed for that. I can change the way the tissue falls, but not really create new wrinkles.
So I said I’m going to edit the hoodie mesh in an external editor and re-import it. I manage to export and edit, but when I’m re-importing it, i’m losing the texture. Here is what I do:
- in the content browser, locate the skeletal mesh -> m_med_nrw_top_hoodie (underline in purple)
- right click on the icon, Asset Actions / Export
- I export in .fbx format, I tried 2013 and 2020, i uncheck all boxes
- At this point I need to convert the fbx file to obj using Autodesk Fusion 360 so I have only the mesh as my editor in next step cannot read .fbx files
- i open the .obj file in MeshMixer, i edit the mesh and export in obj format
- Back in UE 4.26, i double click the above hoodie skeletal mesh
- in the editor, i click on the big icon Reimport Base Mesh on top and select: Reimport Content / Geometry
- I select my edited .obj file
- After import, i can see its my new mesh, but the textures are gone, its like a cartoonish texture, see pic attached
Not sure what I’m missing here, seems like I’m almost there.