How to dynamically update a pivot point

I’m trying to have an objects pivot point / anchor position updated live while keeping the objects location unaltered. Because of this I can’t use parent / child structure. The pivot point would be an object that moves in location to change the pivot point of the object, and rotates in order to rotate the object on the pivot.

Been stuck on this for awhile, any insight into solving this would be greatly appreciated!

If you receive no answers to this in 48h, consider rephrasing it or attach an image visualising what you’re trying to achieve. All I got from reading this is a headache :wink:

I’m trying to have an objects pivot
point / anchor position updated live
while keeping the objects location
unaltered. Because of this I can’t use
parent / child structure.

This sounds like the very definition of local offset and child / parent hierarchy. You move the object left in world space and its child component in the opposite direction in local space, creating and offset pivot.

Visually the child component did not move. But you if you rotate the object, the pivot has been shifted.

Ah, thank you for your response, this is what I wanted to do! But how would I set the location of the pivot point with absolute coordinates? I plan to set the pivot point at an absolute location, so how it works right now is that the pivot point is just flying off in a direction each time it ticks.

Ok this is perfect, it’s working now! I had tried something similar before but I guess I was using the wrong kinds of location and over complicating things. Thank you for the information!

But how would I set the location of
the pivot point with absolute
coordinates? I plan to set the pivot
point at an absolute location

The actor location is your absolute coordinate, anything attached to its root component can live in the parent’s relative space.

281168-capture.png

If you place this actor at [0,0, -200] and set the cube’s relative location to [0,0, 200], the cube will appear at [0,0,0] but rotate around [0,0,-200].

You can also override children’s settings. There is a tiny, downfacing arrow in the component’s transform panel for location, rotation and scale. Although it does not seem necessary in this instance.

No problem. Good luck with the rest!